New pheasant shotgun??

The 16 works for me--each to his own.
Nevertheless, I think you need to tackle that 16g. addiction that you obviously have. We can help you.
You can begin by giving me one or two of them. Maybe start with those old, overweight, outdated ones - Sweet 16 and M 12?

Would if I could, KS, but my 38 year old hunting partner (son) would be extremely upset with me.....
Doesn't he know that those relics are overweight for their punch? Plus steel can rust, whereas aluminum won't. Alloy and plastic - that's what you need to pass along.

A bit over the 1500$ that this thread started with but yesterday I bought myself a retirement gift. Browning 725 sporting in 20ga. It will for sure headed to S.D. in October. 5 more weeks left in this Ole steel mill.
Congratulations! On the gun and the retirement!

I'll bet you will like it, I enjoy mine. Light to carry, I've had no malfunctions. Plenty of punch for the birds. If this is your first 16, start looking for hunting ammo now. It's out there but with the current run on ammo, may be harder to locate than normal. I've used the Remington Express (yellow & green box) with success-#6 and #4's. But they are making 16 gauge Prairie Storm now and if you can find some, you'll be set.

I’m surprised anyone still makes a 16. Nothing at all against it, I’m amazed there would be enough demand to warrant the offering. Pretty nice for the 16ga lovers though.

I forgot to mention, if you hunt ducks, Federal has a 15/16 ounce load of steel you can use, but better yet, see if you can find 16gauge Bismuth which is a more effective load--but it is costly. I've occasionally found it at gun shows. They made a 11/8 ounce load of #4 that has worked
particularly well for me on mallards.

I forgot to mention, if you hunt ducks, Federal has a 15/16 ounce load of steel you can use, but better yet, see if you can find 16gauge Bismuth which is a more effective load--but it is costly. I've occasionally found it at gun shows. They made a 11/8 ounce load of #4 that has worked
particularly well for me on mallards.
Thanks for the input Wolfchief! This is not my first 16. I’m kind of a 16 gauge freak; I don’t think there is a better alternative out there. Carries like a 20, kills like a 12!! Luckily, I do have a bunch of shells for it. Have you ever tried Boss Bizmuth?

Speaking of guns that carry like a twenty, the Browning double auto is a very hard to beat pheasant gun. Many have modified choke barrels.

Ches--my son bought 2 boxes of 12 gauge Boss Bismuth for me last Christmas; I do have the "new" A5 in camo that I use on geese and ducks sometimes, but I was so into the 16 late last season I haven't tried the shells yet. He shoots the Boss out of his SBE III and loves the shells.
And I remember the Double Auto from the early 60's, it is also very lightweight. Getting hard to find now. The writer and grouse hunter Frank Woolner used his out East on ruffed grouse.

Ches--my son bought 2 boxes of 12 gauge Boss Bismuth for me last Christmas; I do have the "new" A5 in camo that I use on geese and ducks sometimes, but I was so into the 16 late last season I haven't tried the shells yet. He shoots the Boss out of his SBE III and loves the shells.
And I remember the Double Auto from the early 60's, it is also very lightweight. Getting hard to find now. The writer and grouse hunter Frank Woolner used his out East on ruffed grouse.

Frank Woolner carried a 12 gauge Winchester Model 59. It had a fiberglass coated barrel. The Browning Double Auto is a different gun.

Frank shortened the barrel and forearm. He removed the pistol grip and drilled out the stock. This lightened the gun from about 6.5 lbs to about 5.5 lbs.

I have a Winchester Model 59. I have not modified it. It weighs slightly more than 6.5 lbs. With the 28" modified barrel, it is an excellent pheasant gun. With a 24" cylinder barrel, it is an excellent grouse gun.

My steel receiver DA weighs 7lbs 6oz, my 1100 20 ga weighs 7lbs 12 oz. My son has my aluminum DA, I don’t have a weight for it. Then there is one lighter than that one.

My steel receiver DA weighs 7lbs 6oz, my 1100 20 ga weighs 7lbs 12 oz. My son has my aluminum DA, I don’t have a weight for it. Then there is one lighter than that one.

The Browning Double Auto is very well balanced. It handles like a nice SxS.

There were two models made with aluminum receivers, the Twelvette, and Twentyweight. Both are much lighter than the models with steel receivers.

Back