New pheasant shotgun??

That is pretty light haha my Maxus is like 6.5 pounds or so. So I can't see myself buying a 16 (for me that is). Idk if I'd even notice that weight difference much.

I have had my eye on a Browning O/U 20 gauge for a few years. It's about 5 pounds. That would be an awesome light gun but I can't bring myself to drop 2,400 for it haha

Another vote for Benelli Montrefeltro. Mine is in 12 gauge with a 26 inch barrel. I have had it for 16 seasons now and it has never failed. I keep it in pristine shape too. I could probably sell it right now for the same price I bought it new for.

I will admit that since it is so light, recoil is an issue if I put a 3 inch shell through it. For that reason, I do not. I only use 2 3/4 inch shells in lead high velocity for wild pheasants.

I purchased a Beretta 20 ga A400 Upland last year that is fabulous on phesant. Comes with 5 chokes, can take 2 3/4” and 3” shells, light weight, has K/O recoil reduction system and is very reliable. If you can find a dealer who has one it will fit into your budget.

Another vote for Benelli Montrefeltro. Mine is in 12 gauge with a 26 inch barrel. I have had it for 16 seasons now and it has never failed. I keep it in pristine shape too. I could probably sell it right now for the same price I bought it new for.

I will admit that since it is so light, recoil is an issue if I put a 3 inch shell through it. For that reason, I do not. I only use 2 3/4 inch shells in lead high velocity for wild pheasants.
Gimruis, your comment brings back memories of bruised shoulders. I've had my 12 ga Montefeltro for almost 30 years. In another lifetime I did a lot of handloading & felt a dire need for speed, particularly w/ steel waterfowl loads. I'd load & test almost anything that looked lightning fast in the manuals. Lots of goose loads. Testing entailed shooting through my chronograph a few feet away from the muzzle, onto the patterning paper 40 yds downrange. Of course I was seated at a bench for all this. That gun & those loads were super punishing. Didn't notice it out in a slough when a goose had his wings set of course. But sitting at that bench, oh my. Eventually I realized a sand bag between the gun & my shoulder helped a lot. :LOL:

Gimruis, your comment brings back memories of bruised shoulders. I've had my 12 ga Montefeltro for almost 30 years.

Its an awesome bird gun but the second you start pushing 3 inch magnum shells through, its awful. I also waterfowl and turkey hunt and a year after I bought the Monty, I also bought a SBE with comfortech recoil system, which absorbs bigger loads a lot better.

My 1960 Belgium Sweet Sixteen with a vent rib 26" barrel weighs just a little over 7 lbs. Just a tad more than my Citori White Lightning 16 ga. with 26" tubes.

Seems common for people to reshape the grip on those Sweet 16s. You’ll have to let us know what you think when you get it.

Seems common for people to reshape the grip on those Sweet 16s. You’ll have to let us know what you think when you get it.
That is why I went with the new Lightening model so I would not have to reshape the pistol grip, which is too tight for me. You can see the new rounded stock below.

Attachments

• A5.jpg
    A5.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 24
Beautiful.

Ignorant question but what makes it a "lightening" vs "regular" A5? I presume reduced weight - but how? Milled out sections inside the receiver?

I must admit that I have developed a severe "new gun I don't need" itch since viewing - thanks a lot!

I’ve gotten the “itch” too because of this thread! I want a 20ga Montefeltro and I never use a 20.

I’ve gotten the “itch” too because of this thread! I want a 20ga Montefeltro and I never use a 20.
Bad plan - 20 gauge ammo is still easier to find than 16. A true masochist would seek out a 16. Thats why the one I have just isn't enough!

Great gun, I love mine.
Beautiful.

Ignorant question but what makes it a "lightening" vs "regular" A5? I presume reduced weight - but how? Milled out sections inside the receiver?

I must admit that I have developed a severe "new gun I don't need" itch since viewing - thanks a lot!
With the new rounded stock, it is supposed to shoulder quicker. Weight is the same.

I don't know about "gentlemen's gauge"--because I have 6-16 gauge guns and no one's ever accused me of gentlemanly behavior. I have a Merkel 1620 that's a joy to carry and deadly on birds; a Model 12 Winchester mod. choke, a Belgian Browning A-5 vent rib Sweet Sixteen IC choke (1973, like new), a Belgian Browning A-5 vent rib 16 gauge Sweet Sixteen mod choke that's seen some wear, a Browning vent rib 28" BPS (Invectors), and the new Sweet Sixteen A5, of course with Invectors. I like that grip just as it is. They are all rooster slayers and that old saying about "carrying like a 20 and hitting like a 12", I have found to be true. Works best though if you reload, I have a Mec 600 JR. for that.

Back