New Old Guy

koja48

Good Morning! Just found this site & it sure looks like an excellent one to follow & in which to participate. Me? 62-years young, born & raised in SW Montana. Hunted everything, but now primarily pursue Upland birds, some waterfowl, and enjoy coyote hunting as well as a lot of fly fishing. One heart attack at 50 and 62-year-old knees suggested I retire from the pursuit of big game, particularly since I can no longer run ridges with the reckless abandon of my youth.
I’ve partnered with Labs my entire life, but am without a furry child at present having had to say a tearful goodbye to my last wonderful companion on Memorial Day of ’09; it’s taken this long for me to start considering another everyday buddy, but I have been considering a pointer as an option . . . currently, my focus has been on Braques Francais, Labs/Pointing Labs, Viszlas (though I believe keeping one in a large yard only surrounded by a 6-foot fence may be a challenge given the breed’s tremendous athletic abilities . . . I did hunt over one & was duly impressed!), and now Wessls after perusing this site. I won’t bring one on-board until next Spring, so I have additional time to refine my decision. Any advice, personal experience, or guidance would be sincerely appreciated. My dogs have ALWAYS been family/house dogs, and I DO like the temperament & natural instincts of Labrador Retrievers . . . I can honestly say that I’ve never had one that was a disappointment (the converse likely isn’t true, but while they’ve given me “The Look” over the years, I’ve never been bitten for frequent misses . . . ).
I have a passion for O/U shotguns and love using a 20-gauge (that was all I used back in the day before the advent of lead shot restrictions), though when steel shot is required I default to a Montefeltro . . . light in the hand and to me, points like an O/U. A 12-gauge comes out of the vault when tougher birds are the quarry. For quail & doves, I default to a sweet-in-the-hand 28-gauge Red Label.
All this being said, while Pheasant hunting isn’t what it was 20-40 years ago (around here, anyway), it’s still a passion & has been so ever since a skinny little kid flipped the safety off on a borrowed .410 bolt-action, made Dad proud while I swung ahead of the bird . . . then watched it fly-away without pulling the trigger. Dad’s Springer Duke gave me my first exposure to “The Look,” and I’ve been hooked ever since . . . I look forward to belonging to the forum.
Jim

Welcome to UPH Thank you for the very nice write-up. I hope we see you here often. By the way you are a pup to me. I'm 77........Bob

Thanks, Bob . . . I must still be a pup . . . I'm still learning to heel.

Welcome from South Dakota. I'm not as old as Bob but I do have you by a couple of years. :) Enjoy the site, and as Bob & I will both tell you - get a Brittany! Great hunters as well as house dogs.

Considered a Brit for those very reasons, but there's too dang many burrs in this country. I've had the pleasure of hunting over a few great Brits over the years, however & one of the most impressive retrieves on a runner that I have ever witnessed was made by Brit. Fine dogs, just not quite what I want.

I have a 2 year old female Brittany from a breeder in Colorado that has a short, flat coat with very little feathering. No burr problems here. The breeder breeds for this type of coat.

currently, my focus has been on Braques Francais, Labs/Pointing Labs, Viszlas (though I believe keeping one in a large yard only surrounded by a 6-foot fence may be a challenge given the breed’s tremendous athletic abilities . . . I did hunt over one & was duly impressed!), and now Wessls after perusing this site.

Welcome to the site first off. You are one of the few who I've even seen bring up the Braques Francais. Have you ever hunted with one? I am curious because I've never known anyone who has.

JS: Anaconda, but spent my share of time in Butte. I go back fly fishing several times every year.

VZ: Not yet, but am definitely intrigued. Also considering a Braque du Bourbonnais & I will have a chance to hunt over one of those hopefully, assuming the weather breaks. I am also intrigued with this breed. Both have characteristics that really appeal to me.

Also considering a Braque du Bourbonnais & I will have a chance to hunt over one of those hopefully, assuming the weather breaks. I am also intrigued with this breed. Both have characteristics that really appeal to me.

You have the premier breeder of Braque du Bourbonnais right in your area. Lonn Kuck of Elk Run Kennels in Star, ID.
http://www.elkrunkennels.com/index.htm

Had a long conversation with Lonn yesterday . . . just waiting for the roads to clear & I'm there (then hoping for a Summer litter). Thanks for looking out for me tho, Dakota!

Welcome Koja, I am with you on the knee deal!!!!!!! Great intro and hope to see you often!!!:10sign::cheers:

Out of the people I've talked to, which is quite a few about dogs, I think you are one of the few who has actually mentioned either of those.

Did a lot of research . . . what can I say, the dogs definitely caught my interest & to have a top breeder so close . . . even better.

Back