New Nor Cal guy

jeepin981

Hello

Name is Brett and I am from Brentwood CA (in northern California where corn is grown, not OJ's old home in beverley hills). I have three boys 8,6,4 and have been out of hunting for about 7 years until last year (hunted since I was 9 before that). Can you guess the correlation to being too busy to hunt and the timing above? But I am getting back into it and loving it. My boys are at the age where they are becoming very interested as well. We have a Springer who is now 13 months old and finishing his training with a trainer in the next two weeks. I am now a member at Hastings Preserve as well and plan on hunting every chance I get. Below is a picture of my boys with our pup. I look forward to learning a few things, finding hunting companions and teaching my kids the joy of hunting in the process.

See you out there!
Brett

Sounds like you have got a neat future ahead with your kids.

Sounds like you have a great future ahead with the kids.

They are so lucky.

Welcome.

:)

Good looking kids, good looking dog, and good looking pond.
I shot Hastings Island years ago. I had one of the weirdest experiences I can recall there too. I remember eating Linguica and eggs there while the automatic pluckers were picking pheasants. They were big drum clothes dryer like things that they'd throw the birds in after a scalding and then rotate them so the fingers inside picked the birds. We were eating breakfast while two clothes dryers full of thumping bird carcasses were banging next to the table. Kind of lost my appetite.
I think you'll enjoy Hastings especially with a young dog and kids. They used to have other activities there too like fishing access to the sloughs. The birds weren't the best fliers though and wanted to run right back to the pens when they threw them out of the back of the pickup. Like I said though, a good place to start.
Take the kids into Foster's Big Horn in Rio Vista for a hamburger under the mounted elephant head. They'll love that place.

I've participated in quite a few hunt tests and field trials at Hastings, but have never actually chased birds there.

Do you fish the Delta much? Lots of guys who can really stick those big largemouths live in Brentwood, including the great Dee Thomas (inventor of the flipping technique).

Welcome to UPH and great taste in dogs.:cheers:

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Calamari - that is actually kind of a funny story (I am sure not while you were there though). Hastings will serve the purpose of getting me back in hunting with some buddies that are members there. Not sure if I will be long time there or just a couple years. I like to explore different things but really like how close it is to the house. Thank you for the story, If i here the same thing I will probably laugh now.

There is fishing out there for the kids, I have not actually taken my kids fishing yet. I got hooked on the big stuff when I was up in Seattle fishing off the coast of BC and Alaska and got rid of everything when I moved back down to California. I did not know that about some of the guys here in Brentwood. I do plan on starting the kids up on some river trout fishing in the next few years as we camp.

Jeepin,

Forget trout, you're in large mouth heaven. If you'd like I'm sure I could get you hooked (pun intended) on a VERY expensive hobby. Here's a pic of a 6 pounder I caught in the delta this spring. I also caught an almost 9lb that day but can't find the pic.:confused:

100MEDIA_IMAG0343.jpg

Here's my almost 9 pound female largemouth from the delta. Maybe I can catch her again in the spring.

100MEDIA95IMAG0349.jpg

Back