New member from Akransas

Scott11T

Hi,

I'm from Northwest Arkansas and I'm new to upland bird hunting. I have a 6 month old brittany I'm currently training.

I know Arkansas' wild bird population has all but vanished. I'll be asking about where to hunt.

I've been thinking about Kansas and Nebraska. I'd really like to just get my pup some experience with wild birds. So if know of a place where we can kick up some wild pheasants or quail, let me know please!

Scott

Welcome to the forum. It's a poor year for wild birds here in Kansas and, from what I hear, other places too. You'll want to get your young Brit out on some birds this fall, so if you have to, go to a reserve and pay to hunt. This is the time to get your dog hard wired to birds.

Thanks for the advice. I think that's probably what I'm going to have to do.

BritChaser, I'm guessing by your name your familiar with the brittany. I was wondering if you ever had a problem with your dog pin pointing where the scent is coming from. I actually did buy some birds last weekend and worked my pup a bit. About half the time I could tell he was scenting the bird but he was having a hard time pin pointing the scent. It was really dry and in thick cover, do your think that might of had something to do with it?

Welcome aboard Scott. I have duck hunted in the DeWitt/Tichnor area since the mid 90's. Birds are kinda scarce this year here in SD, but good luck to you. Looks like ducks will be much better!

Back