New in Eastern Iowa

Dburk

Good Morning,
I joined the forum just a couple days ago. I am 33 and brand new to hunting. I started turkey hunting in the spring and on a bit of a whim decided to see if my chocolate lab and I could flush any pheseants from public ground a couple weeks ago. Two years ago someone abandoned our dog, "Foster", he has been with us ever since. So, Foster and I are eagerly looking for guidance and how to get involved in this sport. I have been out 3 or 4 times and have struggled to flush roosters... We are at a bit of a loss but loving every chance to get outdoors! Looking forward to learning from the veterans out there!

Thanks again, Drew

Drew,

Welcome to the site and Happy New Year.

If you are serious about developing your dog, contact a local trainer and get his/her opinion on how to proceed. They will evaluate the dog and suggest a way to start.

Just my take on your situation...

Good Luck! Keep us posted on your progress.

Welcome. A good place to start is maybe to find a game farm in your area that you could get your dog on some birds. That would help jump start him a little. There are many on here from Iowa that could probably point you in the right direction. Start doing your homework now for next season. If you frequent this site, and get to know a few guy's, you may be surprised at what kind of info you could get. good luck.

Was going to suggest a game farm et al, but wondered if the dog has been introduced to birds and the gun, hence the suggestion of a trainer.

Question: has the dog been shot over?

As Tom mentioned, lots of Iowa hunters on this site that could offer assistance.

Back