New Hunter Looking for Advice

DotNetRob

Hello all,

I am currently an avid shooter in Kansas City, MO that is looking to get into hunting, have never been hunting so I am looking for guidance, suggestions, etc... on steps to get me started. Currently leaning towards starting out with quail and/or pheasant and moving up from there. But very open to suggestions.

So as a new hunter looking to learn, where do I get started?

I would start with the basics... Hunter's Safety Class if you haven't already taken one.

Then find a buddy with a good dog!!!

Load up with 6 or 7 shot shotgun shells.

Go have fun walking for hours on end trying to find the ever elusive birds.!!!

Or you could go out and get a dog, train it or have it trained. Scout out your own spots for finding the birds.

Just a few starter tips.... Lol I am sure there are more people on this forum with more recent experience than I on this subject. Just my 2 cents.

Or you could try rabbit hunting. They are almost always abundant and easier to hit too.

Welcome to the sight. That is a pretty big question. Do you know anyone that hunts? if your younger you will need a hunter safety class. You might check out a game preserve to see if you even like it. Some will even provide a dog if you would like.

Unfortunately I am no longer young, since I am approaching 40. Seems there is a lot of youth related, beginning hunting classes/activities, but not many of people starting out later in life.

I don't know of any immediate family or friends that hunt, which is why I am looking online.

Unfortunately all I have found out, so far, is I need to take a Hunters Education/Safety course, believe this can be taken online or in person. Then I obviously need to buy permits/license. I am already looking for a class, but it seems the class and license/permit are the easy part...

Finding somewhere to hunt, the ins/outs does/don'ts and other practical knowledge is what I seem to be lacking.

Welcome to the sight. That is a pretty big question. Do you know anyone that hunts? if your younger you will need a hunter safety class. You might check out a game preserve to see if you even like it. Some will even provide a dog if you would like.

Rob,

You get your hunter safety taken care of and PM me. Maybe we could go up to one of the preserves and hunt. I would certainly bless you with my words of wisdom:D. Don;t think you are too old to get started. I have taken three different guy's out over the years for their first hunts that were north of 40. They all have ended up enjoying hunting, one even bought a lab:D

carptom1,

Will definitely PM you when I get my safety class taken care of, have one scheduled in two weeks. I look forward to sharing you your wisdom. :)

Rob, you just made a decision that will change the rest of your life for the better. The good friends, good dogs, and good memories you will make while hunting will be some of the best. I might suggest that after your hunter safety course, find a shooting club/skeet range and find a qualified shooting instructor. Most clubs have loaner guns and you can become acquainted with different shotgun types and how they function and shoot. Do this before going to buy any gun. Also it has been my experience in guiding hunters for over 20 years, that most would have been better served to spend half their money on shooting lessons, and the other half on purchasing a gun. I have seen LOTS of people with expensive guns they could not hit anything with. With a half dozen lessons a good instructor can have you well started in proper safe shooting. Over your life of hunting, this will probably be the best investment you can make. Good luck.

I will definitely be seeking guidance on shotgun selection and proper instruction/usage. Only know of a few shooting club/skeet range in the area, unfortunately most require you to know a member before they let you in, which make it difficult.

When I first got into shooting two years ago I took a intro to shooting, a handgun course, and then eventually my CCW class a year ago. I didn't purchase my first gun until after I took the first two classes. Definitely learned a lot from instructors and will continue to do so. I own a few handguns and rifles now, no shotguns yet. I currently go the range every two weeks to shoot. Would imagine once I get into the hunting/skeet/shotgun side of the world I will be doing the same approach. Take a class or two, try out a few shotguns, find the ones I like and practice/train on a regular bases.

Didn't know there was a trap range at Lake Lotawana. I live on the east side of Kansas City, MO - near the stadiums, so that isn't far away. I will have to look up the info on it, thanks for the info.

What part of town are you in.

Lake Lotawana has a trap range.

They take visitors.

If you are looking for a place to go and shoot trap/skeet try Lake City Shooting Range just north of Blue Springs about 2 miles east of 7hwy. I went there yesterday and had a blast. It was only $3 for 25 clays. I took my GF out for her birthday and got her her first shotgun. So she just had to go and try it out.

Overall it was a great experience. One of the volunteers out there told the second Tuesday of each month they have a class for beginners. I plan on taking my GF and my kids out there for the DEC classes. The OCT classes got cancelled due to other activities that same day.

We ended up buying a round for 3 kids to split between them. My oldest Daughter and Son (14 and 11) were killing about 50-60% after a few instructions and shots. The GF was shooting about the same. I was shooting pretty rough for me at about 75%. Overall we ended up shooting 9 rounds of clays. We went through 225 rounds of 12ga ammo. One of the volunteers was kind enough to bring up a box of lighter loads for the kids to shoot.

Highly recommend This place

First time hunter

I have returned to hunting after a 25 year absence and of all types of hunting I enjoy pheasant the most. Last month I shot a young bull moose and in the past have shot a bear and many deer. Nothing makes me happier than my CZ Redhead Deluxe 12 gauge over and under. The only thing that would make my hunting roosters more enjoyable would be a good dog. Last year and this year on opening day I managed to bag a rooster. When my grandson joins me in 14 years on a hunt I will truly be satisfied. Good luck hunting , the key is don't. Give up too soon.

I have returned to hunting after a 25 year absence and of all types of hunting I enjoy pheasant the most. Last month I shot a young bull moose and in the past have shot a bear and many deer. Nothing makes me happier than my CZ Redhead Deluxe 12 gauge over and under. The only thing that would make my hunting roosters more enjoyable would be a good dog. Last year and this year on opening day I managed to bag a rooster. When my grandson joins me in 14 years on a hunt I will truly be satisfied. Good luck hunting , the key is don't. Give up too soon.

I have the same gun and like it a lot!

I would recommend finding a preserve and get a guide with a dog and hunt there a few times to see if its your thing. Just a thought..

Back