New guy: Good Opener

bnz 41

I'm new to the forum here, and just wanted to introduce myself and share my opening day experiences. I live in South Central Nebraska near the KS border and hunt in both NE and KS. EVERYONE was predicting gloom and doom as far as bird numbers go around my area and so I didn't have too high of expectations. I just hunted until noon on opening day as I had a wedding to go to that afternoon (who gets married on opening day- how rude:)). My friend and I both have young dogs and so we decided to just go out and hunt some smaller cover locally.

Overall I would say I was pleasantly surprised. We saw a decent number of pheasants (not great but a lot better than what I expected). The quail however, were a really nice surprise. We got into several coveys all with 15+ birds in each. We had a great time and got our dogs onto some good wild birds. I was really proud when my 1year old vizsla Gus tracked down a wounded rooster and finished a pretty decent retrieve on top of it all. The only down side was that Gus also got into some barbed wire and required a trip to the vet. (He's doing fine and should be ready to go by this weekend when I head to my in-law's in central KS).

Welcome to UPH, Looks like you had a good hunt. Nice looking dog. I hope you stop by the sight often and share you hunting stories with us.:cheers:

Thanks for the compliments. Yeah it was a nice day. I'm looking forward to Saturday for the KS opener. My "sources" tell me that they didn't see many birds all fall, but that since the milo is off things have improved a bit. EEPIT-KAY ON THE OWNLOW-DAY (pig latin:)). Seriously though have a great season and be safe.

Jeff

Last edited:
Nice looking Vizsla, man that cut does look nasty in the photo !!
I'm in Lincoln....where did you get your Vizsla ??

Mark

Yeah,

We took the picture right after we got out of the field and at the time, I didn't even know he got hurt. There was no blood etc. When I got home I gave him a quick tailgate check and that's when I noticed it. It was mostly superficial but the vet put some staples in and gave him some anit-biotics and now 2 weeks later it's all healed up.

I got Gus from a guy near Davey. He was the last pup left when I got there, but I couldn't be happier. A great family dog and he loves to hunt. He's still young so there is still work to do, but all in all, I'm really happy with him.

This has been talked about before and it depends on how how it is outside BUT and I mean BUT I use Cabela's neoprene blaze orange vests for my Viz's. They are tore to Heck but saves the dog and you cut them to fit. Very nice when it is cold out or you are trying to see them. BUT if it is hot out be careful not over heat the dog hunting or in the vehicle.

Check out my profile for a pick of one of my dogs you can see the vest on

Last edited:
I have enjoyed some very good hunts this season. Hunting mostly around the Lincoln area.

Sorry no pics yet but I will get some.

The preseason stories I was hearing were to not expect birds...but I am seeing them and hitting a few.

After one of my dogs got tore up I bought a dog first aid kit. I haven't. Used anything but eye wash and that's a good thing!e

Back