new from AZ

Lumberjack22

Hi everyone Im currently living in NW AZ but am originally from SE New Mexico. Moved out to AZ to attend college in Flagstaff @NAU (hence my screen name-school mascot) The past few years I have been hunting solo or over my dad’s dogs (when I get back home). I have been pheasant hunting since before I was old enough to walk. My dad use to hold me in his arms as we would hunt the brush of our pheasant club over his weimaraners, so its safe to say ive been a lifelong pheasant hunter. In about 4 weeks I will be bringing home my very first gun dog, a Brittany. Figured it was the right time, finally graduated college and have a house big enough for him. Figured I would get on here to get some expertise from those of you who have much more experience in dog training then I have. The pup I am getting is coming with potential as the sire is 2xNAFC/FC/AFC Maxwells Blew By You II. I cant wait to get after some gambles quail and pheasant (if I can find any clubs around the area.) once the little guy pans out. I consider myself a little on the younger side and would really like to see more like myself get into the sport of upland hunting.

Welcome to UPH Lumberjack, I'm sure you'll find lots of help with that pup here. I'm 26, been hunting quail and pheasants for 5 years and my first bird dog is now in his 4th season and he's STILL training me lol.:cheers:

Just started posting myself, but welcome from another rookie. What part of SE New Mex? From Lovington, NM area myself. Hope you enjoy your Brit, had some myself and loved them.

Thanks for the welcome guys. Papa Bruder- im from Artesia, bleed bulldog orange. Nice to have someone on here from that area. Have you been back to hunt the oil patch in a while, heard it has been a down year for quail out there.

Welcome to UPH Lumberjack, I'm sure you'll find lots of help with that pup here. I'm 26, been hunting quail and pheasants for 5 years and my first bird dog is now in his 4th season and he's STILL training me lol.:cheers:

quail hound, since your from cali have you ever heard of Circle HH Hunting Preserve in Nipton CA. It its about an 1hr 40 min drive from where im at but it looks like it might be the closest spot to do some pheasant hunting in the CA/AZ/NV area. The next best spot for me is down between tucson and pheonix, double the distance from me.

No can't say I know about it, its way south of me. I've been quail hunting down there though and 5000ft elevation should be up out of the cactus and into the grassy pinyon/ juniper cover. Lots of quail out in that area.

Welcome to uph. Glade to have you on the boards. There is a place north of Prescott that has Pheasants. :)

Hey jmac thanks for the welcome. I recall seeing a place north of prescott before while searching online but cant find it anymore. Could you give me some info on it or a place to go to find more info on it. I would greatly appreciate it.

Hey jmac thanks for the welcome. I recall seeing a place north of prescott before while searching online but cant find it anymore. Could you give me some info on it or a place to go to find more info on it. I would greatly appreciate it.

The place is called YMCA High desert hunt club. I was wrong about it being north of Prescott. I've never been there but have heard good things about them. If you going report back an let us know the scoop on this place.:thumbsup:

Went back at Thanksgiving, hunted hard 3 days. Never hunted harder fof fewer birds. Only found 6 or 7 coveys and only 2 of them with more than more than 4-5 birds. Water really scarice. Was along the caprock north of maljamar.

Jmac I will have to look into that YMCA High Desert hunt club. I had seen that one but was under the impression that it was for kids only. Thanks for the hint.

Papa Bruder thats pretty much what ive heard. My dad hasnt even bothered going the last few years and was considering raising quail agian like he did years ago to release just to get his dogs some work.

The place is called YMCA High desert hunt club. I was wrong about it being north of Prescott. I've never been there but have heard good things about them. If you going report back an let us know the scoop on this place.:thumbsup:

I am possibly moving down to the Phx area this summer and I was looking at the YMCA club outside prescott as well. Everything i read seams to be a good place. If I do move I most likely will get a card there next season as it is only about an hour from where I plan on living. I would be really interested to know your experience. Maybe we can shoot some birds there next year!

I am possibly moving down to the Phx area this summer and I was looking at the YMCA club outside prescott as well. Everything i read seams to be a good place. If I do move I most likely will get a card there next season as it is only about an hour from where I plan on living. I would be really interested to know your experience. Maybe we can shoot some birds there next year!

Let me know when you get here. I hunt alot of Quail down here, and your welcome to come anytime.:thumbsup:

Will do! The YMCA club has good youth programs (I have three young boys so that is great) but it is a full fledged club. The only other one I found is on the way to Tucson and about twice the drive

Will do! The YMCA club has good youth programs (I have three young boys so that is great) but it is a full fledged club. The only other one I found is on the way to Tucson and about twice the drive

I've been to the one south of Coolige. It's about the same drive as the other one near Prescott. You can join there club or plan a day hunt. Good operation and good dogs of all types, lots of brits and gsps. You'll be hunting alfalfa fields if you go there. :)

Welcome to UPH guys!!! Good luck with the new pup!!! When I was in Prescott going to school I met a guy from Tucson and we hunted that way for Quail!! Did find some Javs eating out of the trash cans in Prescott!!! :cheers:

Welcome to the fourm--enjoy--, a looong time ago I lived in Mesa AZ and hunted quail NE of Florance--lots of good tiimes--probably houses now--LOL

Welcome to the fourm--enjoy--, a looong time ago I lived in Mesa AZ and hunted quail NE of Florance--lots of good tiimes--probably houses now--LOL

Yes and lot's of them. I no longer hunt Price Rd. To bad it was a go to place.

Whats this:mad: all this BS about hunting in the intro's:mad: Welcome Lumberjack22 and a couple you other guys that are new here:) What about the ducks in AZ. Thousands by grannies house. Coyotes thick two. Why an you shooting them Jmac:D

Back