New DIY Dog Box Build

Miforester

Here is my new DIY dog box that was modeled after Waterdog09, he was vey helpful and answered all my questions. My version is a little different, mine has top storage and can either be a 3 dog currently or 4 dog. Roughly 44" wide by 56"Long and just under 27" tall. Dog compartments are approx 26 deep, 20 tall, 20 wide. The 3rd area is 26 deep, 20 tall and 44 wide. My britt and setter are in front and big lab in back. Finished the outside with Herculiner and used flexseal along all joints.

Have you experienced water infiltrating around the window/door? Water running down the face of the box could enter the door...

I like the drawers under the box.

Good job - hope it works for you.

Have you experienced water infiltrating around the window/door? Water running down the face of the box could enter the door...

I like the drawers under the box.

Good job - hope it works for you.

No water issues to date, when I installed the door frames I put a bead of silicone along the perimeter of the frame to try and prevent water from sliding in behind the door frame and air vent frames. When I drove out to Nebraska on my last trip, I did encounter lake effect snow from sw Michigan till Chicago area. The doors and face of box were snow/slush covered but no signs of water on the interior. I will coat my drawers this coming summer so all will match.

Only thing missing is the nice wooden shotgun shell pulls you have, where did you get those?

The shells were from our PF banquet, we had a game called shot shell and those were provided from PF for the game so I took some of the ones I had laying around and used those.

The shells were from our PF banquet, we had a game called shot shell and those were provided from PF for the game so I took some of the ones I had laying around and used those.

Thanks for the info, I think I found some online going to give them a try.

Have you had any problem with black and it being to warm?

Not yet, have only used this fall, trips to Nebraska and SD. Temps reached a hi of 60. The box has 4 side vents and i can remove diamond plate from entry door for more air flow. Plan to add a temp sensor so i can better monitor interior temps.

Can you give some build details? Demensions plywood thickness etc?

Exterior deminsions are 56.75" long, 26.75" tall and 44" wide. Use 3/4" sanded plywood, wanted to use hardwood plywood but opted for the less expensive route. Comparrments are roughly 20" tall, 20" wide and 26" deep. Top storage of 6" and rear divider is removeable to make either 3 or 4 hole. These numbers are off top of my head as my plans changed some what during build. I can get exact tomorrow. Any questions just ask.

60 degrees was the temp I was worried about. What's the dry time on the liner. Herculiner was what I was thinking about using. I think I am going to build a simple 2 hole box. Cut and glue on wed. 2 coats liner on part of the box thurs. Two coats on the other half fri. Do you think it would be dry on Sat?

60 degrees was the temp I was worried about. What's the dry time on the liner. Herculiner was what I was thinking about using. I think I am going to build a simple 2 hole box. Cut and glue on wed. 2 coats liner on part of the box thurs. Two coats on the other half fri. Do you think it would be dry on Sat?

I used herculiner and the sprayed flex seal on joints for added weather proofing. If you are working in a heated garage then yes you should be good with the schedule you presented. Merry Christmas!

Thanks guys for the ideas. I got a new picked the other day and I didn't want the dogs riding in the cab anymore on cold days. I just put some mudflap doors on the box.They come off easy and the top of the cutout sits an inch and a half above the tailgate so I can pull them off and add a little ventilation when I get to where I'm going and use the tailgate as the door. I have to have a bedliner sprayed in the pickup and probably had the box done for reasonable , but you guys make it look so easy.

View attachment 8947

View attachment 8948

View attachment 8949

Looks good, i would caution about being so close to the tailgate i always worry about exhaust coming back intobthe dogbox if it is close to tailgate. Not sure if that is a vaild concern or not....i always push dogbox to front of bed. Congrats on new pickup, i got a 2018 ram 1500 this year too.

Back