New CRP acreage signups

UGUIDE

I heard 50,000 acres of new SAFE CRP got signed up in 8 days in Iowa. Pretty impressive. I think a total of 114,000 new acres were available for sign up.

Be interesting to know more about that and if locals know more about the whereabouts.

Also heard the Des Moines Water Works lawsuit lost its case.

I was at our state habitat meeting on Saturday and they had a young kid describing a new program. He works for us and is using a new program that agronomists use to map and forecast yields. Long story short if a farmer can make a section of a field more profitable using grass and decreasing his inputs and increasing his return on investment it shows clearly on the program. The areas being targeted are the Mississippi and Mo river watersheds. Smaller patches of grass utilized more effectively for conservation and income for farmers. Several of us older members in the room understood the import of his talk. They have allready hired one in MN and I believe are looking for one in SD to run the same program he started with in SW Iowa. If you go to pheasant fest you have to see this kid talk!!!!! PF and QF do some amazing things.

I was at our state habitat meeting on Saturday and they had a young kid describing a new program. He works for us and is using a new program that agronomists use to map and forecast yields. Long story short if a farmer can make a section of a field more profitable using grass and decreasing his inputs and increasing his return on investment it shows clearly on the program. The areas being targeted are the Mississippi and Mo river watersheds. Smaller patches of grass utilized more effectively for conservation and income for farmers. Several of us older members in the room understood the import of his talk. They have allready hired one in MN and I believe are looking for one in SD to run the same program he started with in SW Iowa. If you go to pheasant fest you have to see this kid talk!!!!! PF and QF do some amazing things.

while this sounds encouraging, planting fence row to fence row is a natural action..

The program and crp are designed to target marginal land used in agriculture that could be more profitable in grass. The best hunting the last 8 years or so has been in the pheasant range that still has habitat due to proximity to water or land features that prevent fence row to fence row farming. There is considerable funding for pollinators and water quality buffers as opposed to 320 acre fields of grass. This approach is very cut and dried and tied to the profitability of acreage in question. The program is capable of projecting the costs associated with tiling and amortizing those costs verses enrolling the wet acres in CRP or wrep or eqip or similar program. Tiling is one of those practices that makes me shake my head, It can't be profitable, and causes downstream flooding along with nutrient leeching that is causing so much concern.

Waterman,

It is a good next move to partner with agronomists (Agsolver) to move into the producers space of thinking. If you can show the farmers dollars or loss of dollars they will act. Especially in these times.

Next Chapter in farm the best and buffer the rest. It works.

Back