New Choke For Citori 725

George

So I've been looking to get new chokes for my Citori 725 field and replace the factory invector ds chokes. I'm looking for preferably flush fitted, but it seems like no one makes them. Does anyone no of any manufacturers that make a flush fitted choke for replacement of invector ds chokes?

Not sure you'll be able to find INV DS flush fitted aftermarket chokes..
Most Only sell extended versions.
Is there something wrong with the factory chokes or maybe a choke that you need that is not supplied from the factory?

Last edited:
The factory Browning chokes have a reputation (not good), at least with trapshooters and SC guys. I have always had good luck with Briley.

The factory Browning chokes have a reputation (not good), at least with trapshooters and SC guys. I have always had good luck with Briley.

To be clear it's not that the Browning chokes (in this case Inv DS) are good or bad it's that the constrictions don't match to what is marked on the choke itself. Browning chokes whether Standard Invector, Invector Plus or the newer Invector DS have always been more open than what is marked on the choke tubes compared to what the standards are for each choke denomination. (cylinder = .00, Skeet =.05., IC = .010, Mod = .020, Imp Mod = .025 and Full = (.030-.035) in thousandths of an inch.

This doesn't mean the chokes are garbage, just that you need to pattern them to find out which choke (if any) works best for your choice of load at any given distance. If the factory chokes don't give you what you need than aftermarket chokes are available in .05 increments to fill in the gaps. Many prefer the extended aftermarket chokes for ease of removal and identification, in that case a complete set may be the order.

Whether aftermarket or factory, flush fitted or extended, only one way to tell how they really work unfortunately and that is the painstaken process of patterning each one.

Last edited:
yes, I'm aware of that. The problem is that, say you need an improved Mod choke, you don't know what the heck to order. From what I've seen, the F is full, the rest are a guess. Given that info, I'd order a Briley IM!

The problem is that, say you need an improved Mod choke, you don't know what the heck to order.

We'll you could always measure the constrictions from your existing choke tubes and go from there, however, just because say a true Improved Modified choke measures .025 doesn't mean it will necessarily produce an IM pattern.

Briley chokes that sell as aftermarket chokes for most makes of guns are pretty accurate. Not every bore diameter from every gun made from say Browning will be exact, but likely within .002 for the most part. So... when you purchase say a IM from Briley, it's a good bet you will get a .025 or very close for your particular gun. In my case I have both a LM & Mod Briley spectrum extended choke in INV DS and each measures exactly what is stamped on the choke. When I initially patterned them however they both patterned (1) tighter than what was marked and (2) very similar to each other. In other words there wasn't a lot of difference between the two that the naked eye could tell. In theory a difference of .005 constriction shouldn't change the pattern a whole lot and in this case it didn't.

When I compared those chokes to my factory DS IM, I again got pretty similar results. So knowing that, The INV DS IM is much the same as the Briley LM or MOD and I wouldn't have known that unless I put it on paper.

You are correct about the guessing part, but only if you choose not to pattern.

Last edited:
I picked up a 12 ga 725 Feather this past winter. I am also debating getting aftermarket tubes after seeing this thread. It looks like Briley or Trulock are basically the only choices. (both extended) I did recently did some pattern work. I love the feel of the gun and it seems to hit point-of-aim for me.

The load I used was 2 and 3/4 Fed. Wing Shok. 1 and 3/8 oz #4 @ 1500fps. I counted 196 pellets.

Imp Cyl 114 pellets in a 30" circle @ 30 yds. I should also check this one at 40

Light Mod - 98 pellets @ 40yds

Modified - 99 pellets @ 40yds

Imp Mod - 119 pellets @ 40

Full - 135 @ 40 yds

My Winchester SXP with Invector plus modified choke 101 pellets @ 40 yds

The patterns looked pretty good for the most part. I am still debating getting Briley tubes for it.

Briley and Trulock aren't the only aftermarket brands who make replacement chokes for the 725,but you can't go wrong with either.

Those patterns above list a LM and IM, are those Inv DS Factory chokes?

Last edited:
Yes, they are both factory browning tubes. If this thread appeared before I got them I probably wouldn't have and just went straight to Briley chokes. I might look at ported tubes with the lightness of this gun. Now it is in my head.

Last edited:
Yes, they are both factory browning tubes. If this thread appeared before I got them I probably wouldn't have and just went straight to Briley chokes. I might look at ported tubes with the lightness of this gun. Now it is in my head.

I use the Factory IM in my 725 Sporting and find that it throws pretty good patterns albiet with target loads out to 40 yards. In my gun its about .015 constriction or roughly equivelant to a LM.

I picked up a 12 ga 725 Feather this past winter. I am also debating getting aftermarket tubes after seeing this thread. It looks like Briley or Trulock are basically the only choices. (both extended) I did recently did some pattern work. I love the feel of the gun and it seems to hit point-of-aim for me.

The load I used was 2 and 3/4 Fed. Wing Shok. 1 and 3/8 oz #4 @ 1500fps. I counted 196 pellets.

Imp Cyl 114 pellets in a 30" circle @ 30 yds. I should also check this one at 40

Light Mod - 98 pellets @ 40yds

Modified - 99 pellets @ 40yds

Imp Mod - 119 pellets @ 40

Full - 135 @ 40 yds

My Winchester SXP with Invector plus modified choke 101 pellets @ 40 yds

The patterns looked pretty good for the most part. I am still debating getting Briley tubes for it.

that shell with that speed has to be Painful to shoot.

I ordered 2 Briley extended chokes (non ported) Mod put 113 pellets in a 30" circle and full put 136 pellets in that circle. The patterns were more even out of the Brileys and I don't see a point in getting anything between those 2 chokes. Now pick up a IC and I should be good.

I got my Briley IC for the gun. 106 Pellets in a 30 inch circle at 30 yds spread nice and evenly. IC/mod should work good early and Mod/full should be good for late season.

I had a few Prairie Storm shells on hand. With the Imp Cyl Browning Factory choke at 40 yds they probably had the tightest pattern of my testing so far. A Cylinder tube combined with IC might be a good late season combo.

I am taking a trip to Northern MN for Ruffed Grouse/ Woodcock this Oct. I patterned 7.5 shot Winchester Super X High Brass loads in the IC and LM Browning tubes and those should be good for that trip.

Less than a week and I can get out on some Doves.

Last edited:
I used one of my waterfowl chokes last season and it worked great.
It is a middle range hevi choke. I use it in my Benelli but did a number
of pheasants

Back