New Brittany, male or female???

wapsijim

I'm in the process of looking for a new Brittany pup, (house pet and hunting pheasants). I've had both males and a female in years past and the males seemed to be better hunters, but that was probably the individual dogs and the training they got... or was it?

Any recommendations or personal experience you can share? I am not as young as I used to be so hunting will be at a slower pace and not the 20-40 days a season I used to either.

I'm in the process of looking for a new Brittany pup, (house pet and hunting pheasants). I've had both males and a female in years past and the males seemed to be better hunters, but that was probably the individual dogs and the training they got... or was it?

Any recommendations or personal experience you can share? I am not as young as I used to be so hunting will be at a slower pace and not the 20-40 days a season I used to either.

I have Brittanys, currently two spayed females. In the past I've also had both males and females. Personally I have never seen any difference in their hunting ability or drive. I think it's more in the breeding. My soon to be 5 year old female that I also run in NSTRA trials has more drive and natural ability than any dog I've ever had. And yet she is also the most loving dog I've ever had and very laid back around the house. So with that said I would recommend a female. Get her from the right breeding and you will have yourself a great house pet and hunting companion.

I have both a mom britt and her son. She is the slower loving one of the two. Rufus the male is a bulldozer of a dog where she is has a more refined hunting style. So with that said a female gets my vote. Now I have had 4 brits over the years and this is my first male dog so what the heck to I know:rolleyes:

Either way your a winner with a Britt!

I prefer males, with a bigger build. I also waterfowl hunted with my britts, helped with staying warm and big geese. my dad has always liked females. To say that one does something better than the other is nonsense. They have all been different with own individual characters. If sex doesn't matter, pick the right breeding, and be honest with the breeder as to what you are looking for from your pup, they should be able to lead you in the right direction. Good luck.

male or female

Thanks for the responses! I will take my time and look at breeders and pups and talk to a few before deciding, probably in the spring. Below is one of my old Brittany's (Page) when she was just a pup in 1987.

picture.php

Last edited:
I vote Female! Ive had both female and male. Although they both did pretty well, i still prefer a female over a male just because she was more ontop of thing's in the field. She was ready for anything while my male was too, she just was more birdy than he was!

Back