New A5 Sweet Sixteen reviews

Mickaroni

I’m coming perilously close to
Pulling the proverbial trigger on a new Sweet Sixteen and figured I’d see if current owners have any thoughts.

Clearly a great time to jump into a new caliber given ammo shortages, but I’ve never let reason get in the way of gun purchases so I ain’t starting now.

I love my new A5 Sweet Sixteen. I would recommend the 26" barrel as the A5 has a long receiver and with a 28" barrel the overall length can get quite long for some people. Best to go shoulder one of each length and see what you prefer.

Awesome. Appreciate that. I was leaning 26 as I’m an over under guy but that seals it basically on the length.

Same response. Mine is being shortened by Briely as we speak. Great field gun. No issues whatsoever.
I've thought about having my 26" shortened by Briley also. What length was your original barrel and what will be the length after Briley gets done?

My barrel was 28 inches. At a minimum it will be taken down to 26 inches, recrowned and sight pin reinstalled. Going to have it threaded for three of their chokes. Total price is $375 plus shipping cost. In my conversations they have to cut to a post. One gentlemen "Cold Iron " has gone down to 23 inches as he hunts grouse pretty heavy. I am hoping for 26 or maybe a tad shorter as I hunt primarily sharpies, Huns and pheasant. Going to go with IC, Mod and IM for choke choice. I checked Browning for a barrel but nothing yet and the price for a new barrel will be close to $700.

I started with a 16ga many years ago. I bought the new sweet 16ga 28". LOVE THE GUN. I now can't miss ( not bragging) as it improved my average shooting from the past. Light, cycles beautifully, and patterns well with the cheap ammo as well. I have always had auto 26" but I am not messing with this one. It will be my go to gun.

I actually like my 28 barrel. The gun is so light that for me, would seem ”whippy” with a shorter barrel. Great gun though, cycles flawlessly, soft recoil, feels good in the hand and to the shoulder.

My barrel was 28 inches. At a minimum it will be taken down to 26 inches, recrowned and sight pin reinstalled. Going to have it threaded for three of their chokes. Total price is $375 plus shipping cost. In my conversations they have to cut to a post. One gentlemen "Cold Iron " has gone down to 23 inches as he hunts grouse pretty heavy. I am hoping for 26 or maybe a tad shorter as I hunt primarily sharpies, Huns and pheasant. Going to go with IC, Mod and IM for choke choice. I checked Browning for a barrel but nothing yet and the price for a new barrel will be close to $700.
There was a guy on another forum that had his 26" barrel shortened to 23" by Briley with the thin-wall chokes. I like shorter barrels and that's what I'm thinking of having done with mine. I had an older Benelli Montefeltro with a 24" barrel and I really liked it.

I've had mine since '17, and I couldn't be happier. I've got the 26" barrel and I got real lucky with the wood, it's real nice. Just a joy to carry all day.

I've never gotten the autoloader bug. Tried them as a younger person and it never resonated with me. Grew up with an 870 then to doubles. All that mechanical stuff moving around seems unnatural.

I own a few 16,s. love them all. Giving my grandsons a few guns now. My oldest picked out a cherry 1950 Ithaca 37 16 last year. He owns several shotguns but loves the 37 most! The new sweet 16 is a great gun, but you might as well by a 16-gauge reloader also. Shells are crazy high and hard to find.

A5 28" here. I have had very good luck with the gun. You will pay more for ammo if you can find it. Light gun that travels nicely in the field. The browning loads shoot nice through the gun. I have also shot Federal and Fiocchi through he gun in 5's and 6's.

For the guys that are cutting the barrel down can't you just purchase a 26" barrel from browning for the gun?

I used the A5 Sweet 16 often this year and almost exclusively the last 2 seasons. I have it in 26"--very light and responsive, you'd be hard put to find a better field gun--light to carry with enough punch to bring the birds down.

Back