New 2020-2021 WIHA map is out

that report has always been for entertainment only. as usual, it will be spotty, used to that by now.
but the haying and grazing proliferation could really have a negative affect.
less cover for birds and a lot more hunter pressure on what is left?

We will be out there a couple times this year because that is what we do.

But also throwing in a South Dakota trip for the first time as well as likely buying some birds to 'liberate' here locally before and after the season for the dogs to play with.

Headed out for chickens again this weekend. Headed to SD on 10/23. Headed to NE on 11/6. It will be spotty here, as always. Doesn't matter, I'll go anyway. Habitat is ever more fragmented and, at least in the areas I hunt for day trips, we seem to lose a good WIHA or two every year.

KDWPT reported in the KC Star that pheasant numbers are down everywhere but NW.

North Dakota will definitely harvest more birds this year and very likely Iowa.

There are more hay bales than pheasants this year. I have never seen this much hay, ever.
That is a question that I have to admit I struggle with a lot; CRP harvesting when things get dry. There are a lot of hay farmers with hay for sale and I'm not sure they always have the same market protections as grain farmers in the same market conditions.

KDWPT reported in the KC Star that pheasant numbers are down everywhere but NW.

North Dakota will definitely harvest more birds this year and very likely Iowa.

that is a bit surprising, but i think the habitat and haying/grazing proliferation is making a move in the wrong direction.
this is definitely not good. will be a lot of preserve hunting this year and to come.

south dakota
I've thought about it but I would like to avoid the snow, thought about NE this year too but for some reason the couple times I've been to KS I've had a great time, unsuccessful, but a ton of fun. That keeps me coming back.

I've thought about it but I would like to avoid the snow, thought about NE this year too but for some reason the couple times I've been to KS I've had a great time, unsuccessful, but a ton of fun. That keeps me coming back.

KS. will be better than NE.
Enjoy your trip.

I'm still waiting for the actual results of the brood survey, not the press release version

Yea I noticed they hadn’t posted it yet. I actually saw quite a few young birds while driving around on our dove hunt. Was in the western portion of the central region... Edwards Co. I’d like to think things in that area are a little better. Farmer has been seeing quite a few this summer. He felt like a decent hatch. I’d say there was obviously some late hatching. Saw some really young birds. We will see... either way we always have fun. Man, 04 and 05 were sure something out there!

Back