Never give up

KCWIEM

So this is my story... I have had "Haley" which is a female Wiemaraner for 3.5 years now... I got her when she was just a pup.... I also have a 6yo male Lab a wiemanar mix.... After working with Haley as a pub on obedience and field work she looked amazing.... Had a problem with her fetching things... Couldn't get her to chase a ball or any toy... Not that big of a problem for me since I had a dog already that would take care of that.... She would point a bird in the yard like a rock... Will chase a wing or rabbit for that matter anything that would be prey.... She was a very timmid dog growing up always staying by my side... Brought her in the field for the first time when she was almost one... Stuck to my boots almost every time I got her out.... Not gun shy a bit just wouldn't leave my side.... Worked with her all the following summer.... Excellent dog during training sessions... Point hell even back like champion dogs.... Still would never chase anything.... I bring her out for season two.... Same thing... Stuck to my heals.... Was ready to call her a house dog and be happy because she is a great companion... Worked with her a bit more with my other dog this last summer... The same results during training... Guys would give me trouble about my boot licker all the time... Never let it bother me because I love spending time with my dogs.... So I decided to bring her out this year for opening weekend and see if anything changed before I gave up completly on her.... THE BAM!!! Let her out of the truck to get ready for the first field, she runs about 15yds in front of the truck in the field and is stuck like a rock... A picture perfect point.... She helled the point long enough for me to get my gun out loaded and walk over before she flushed the bird.... 3yrs of dissapointment erased by one moment... I was in heaven... Have never been so proud of a dog in my life... The rest of the weekend was just more of the same... she stayed about 15yds in front of me.... which is a perfect distance for me.... Never once did a bird get up behind us... probably pointed 30 solid times in the two days we were out.... was an AMAZING weekend I must say... So I guess what I am trying to say is just because the dog that you have is not doing as you think it should just don't give up and give it away or lock it in a kennel... Sometimes it just takes some love and patience to make things work....

Wonderful story of the virtue of old fashioned techniques and patience. Unfortunately, many dogs never make it long enough to prove out, before more drastic measures are taken by anxious, impatient owners, who expect a finished dog immediately, Some just discarded. Great lesson to keep the faith!

That is my thoughts exactly... I have seen many dogs given away or just locked in a kennel because nobody would give them a chance to grow up...

Good story Weim, I would say she was just a little slow maturing. Which happens with some dogs at times. I had one take off in the second hunting season, so it happens more than we think........Bob

Gives me Hope!

Thanks for the story..gives me hope that the light will go on for my 3yr old lab soon! He has a nose, just not sure how to use it. :eek:

One of my brothers has a young golden retriever pup. Hunting this fall it showed good work in the woods, used it's nose, hunted dead, but wouldn't retrieve. Would lick the birds and lay down besides them. He's all worried and I'm telling him to calm down, he's just a baby. Keep up the work in the yard and next year he'll be older. My last setter took a while to mature. He worried me his first year, but was better his second and really blossomed in his third.

Back