Never been this good!!

Was wondering how long hunting would be good on private land. Are you hunting the same field? What kind of cover?

I'll have to admit I was jealous of you last fall. Now I am not so jealous. You look like the type of guy who can walk all day. I barely hunted half a day. Tonight I jog. Or at least, walk fast.

2 spots

Standing corn surrounded by weeds. Killed off 40 foot strips of weeds and planted wheat about a week ago. I said in an earlier post that I had about 200-300. I think we killed almost 300 this weekend and they are still flying around like gangbusters. I would say there are still the same amount if not more still hanging around. The weather is supposed to drop friday though. May put a damper on things. They are all over the wheat patches. The other spot is just a cattle lot with a lot of dead trees in it. The last pic where my gun is leaning against the old stock chute is actually where my new house is being built. Hayed the alfalfa field a week ago and they are everywhere over there too. So really 3 spots. We hunted the wheat field in the morning, cattle lot in the evening and the next morning. Then the wheat field the following evening. Just to give the spots a break. But I dont think it really matters. My dogs have never been tired from dove hunting, but they were this weekend. I feel bad, I should have extended the invitation to guys on the forum but I didnt think they would all stay like this. I hate having guys drive a ways and you dont see anything. Id say at least half of the ones killed were migrators. That being said, if anyone wants to dove hunt....And yes, I can walk all day. Gonna do it till I cant anymore!!!!

Last edited:
I lied. I am still jealous of guys who can walk all day. Already jogged once. Need to get into January shape before November. So many places to hunt this year, MO, KS, NE, IA. Excited.

Yep. I think Im adding OK and IL to that list. Dont think ill hit iowa. Hopefully it works out for me, planning on traveling alot this year.

Travel

Drive north a 100 miles and sit in the dove Nirvana! My daughter wants me to drag an old couch out there to sit on. She fell backwards once in the triangle cabelas chair. Ill never buy one of those again. Uncomfortable things.

Man brother that looks like some fun. Good the kids get a lot of shooting. Reminds me of years ago in the fields down in SE kansas. I still walk all day with my bad knees and extra LBs, but I pay for it at night

Ive been blessed so far. No extra pounds yet. But the day is fast approaching. And yeah its fun to watch the kids hone their skills. The second day they were allowed 50 rounds. So 2 boxes. 3 out of the 4 limited. One got 12. Did NOT let him shoot 3 more. The next day, that kid hit 15 in 31 shots! Big improvement. My daughter was 15 for 23 the 3rd day. I dont think it was the gun skills that really improved, it was more that they learned how to pick their shot, pick one bird out of the flock, and letting them get a little closer. Which is an improvement in hunting skills. And they had a blast!

Back