Need vest advice

mgorvi

I need to vest my 60lb French spaniel. Just got her home and her chest/belly area just beat to a pulp. Leaving again on the 19th so want to find one. Please give me some advice on an upland hunting vest that won’t overheat. I ordered an Avery boaters vest but I think it will be too warm for upland. Thanks

Mendota skid plate is what I use on my gsp's. I have had pretty good luck with them.

I've been using the Remington Orange Chest Protector for Dogs (on Amazon) for my Golden. Seems to work pretty well. Plus it's cheap, so it isn't a big deal if it gets torn up. However, there may be more durable options out there.

I'm partial to the Sylmar Dogwear products. Check out their website. The owner is very helpful if you have any questions. Ellie has had hers for 5 years. Only problem I had was the velcro gets plugged up and doesn't hold. I just put gorilla duct tape around the velcro and the problem is fixed.

I need to vest my 60lb French spaniel. Just got her home and her chest/belly area just beat to a pulp. Leaving again on the 19th so want to find one. Please give me some advice on an upland hunting vest that won’t overheat. I ordered an Avery boaters vest but I think it will be too warm for upland. Thanks

Mark, this was my response to a similar thread just a few days ago.

Get this vest from Sylmar Dogwear. Excellent quality and great people to work with. They will make anything special for you with no extra charge. The vest have a cutout on the under side for male dogs. I wanted mine to extend back further on the bottom for my female. No problem, they made it for me. I've used this style of vest for many years. Cabelas has a similar vest for less money but it's not as well made or as tough.

http://sylmardogwear.com/outdoors.htm

I just upgraded Harley to a CUGA Vest afer he shredded his Bowning skid plate running full bore through a fence. He's about 60-63 lbs and the medium fits him like it was made for him..

I called the guy who owns Sylmar. He was in Nebraska pheasant hunting with family and friends. He took my order and went to the trouble to call it in back home so I could get it by the 19th. Geez, talk about going out of your way. I ordered it squared off in the back because Miya is a female, so it’s made sort of special order. I have a pup coming in Feb. and I’m gonna try a Cuga vest on her, and compare the two. Thanks for the response. Heading out next week. Hope the ground stays firm. Not a big fan of hunting in the mud. Hope that more of the corn is out.

I think you will be happy. I'm looking forward to the comparison. I'm curious about the Cuga vest. They were a close second for me. What sold me was the genuine help from the owner of Sylmar.

Have a great hunt, be safe!
Lee

Back