need guidance

andrewbram6

Good evening all. I am new to the whole scene. I was wondering if anyone here can give me pointers or point me in direction of good resources to be successful. From what I hear you must know someone to have good hunts and wondering if that is true. I probably wont get to do much other then scout this year because it is my nephews first year. luckly fate brought me and my brother out here and we need some help. the army brought me here and his kids and ex brought him, needless to say we are all we have and trying to figure this out all on our own is rather daunting..... We gotta start somewhere and we have four kids in counting to make memories with.. Any help would be great thank you. info like areas to look at an what to look for would be great

Welcome. :)

I'd check with the fish and game department sites of the states you are interested in. They are generally willing to send you all the info and maps you need as your success insures their success. I received a large packet from South Dakota last fall just filled with maps. A call yesterday to California F&G led me to sites I was interested in.

good luck-

This site is a great place to start learning... I just watched the free DVD that came with the Small game brochure and it is really quite good. Make sure you check it out.

Aside from that... First off I would say that any (safe) day out in the field with your brother and kids is going to be a great day... Sometimes you limit, sometimes you skunk, but being out there with people you enjoy is what makes it a "good day."

That being said... I would rather gave good days where I shoot birds vs good days when I do not. You can learn it yourself, but finding experienced hunters to tag along with certainly helps. There is a good chunk of public walk in access around the state, and those areas will hold birds. Also, a military man taking kids hunting can not look too bad if you decide to knock on doors.

Summation... if you would still consider it a good day even if we did get skunked (I do a lot) I would be happy to join up and chase some birds around this fall... send me a pm when things get going! Good hunting!

jh sounds good to me.I am however out of the army now but a bad day fishing is still better then a good day at work so I am sure it applies to hunting as well. be glad to meet some new friends also

If you can swing it, a great hunt for kids is the Kansas youth hunt. It's the weekend before the opener. My brother in law & myself don't have kids but we started taking our nephews when they were 10 along with other friends kids (parents divorced) several years ago. Not once did we see another group out hunting and by having the kids ask for permission they never got turned down. They got plenty of shooting in and it was a great preseason workout for the dogs.

Best of luck!

Instead of being over whelmed , think of it as a challenge!!! I scouted, researched and found some of the best public land and was very successful !!!! Over time, it got hit hard and I found new honey holes!!!!! They are out there!!! In these times of pay to hunt operations and big leases, I have still managed to hunt, for a gift cert, and a bottle of fine Bourbon. I have some of the best hunting ground for most every species!!!!!! A lot is still on public land!!!! I could give you a duck hunt of a lifetime on public ground!!!! And when I was sitting , looking over my decoys, I actually got up and shot 2 Roosters that were crowing and gave themselves away!! It is fun for me to find the next hot spot or honey hole!!!:cheers:

:Dblue your so old and senile you don't remember what a honey hole is and its not the honey jar that winnie the poo carries around

This is all good advice. Make sure to get a copy of the Late walk in access atlas. You should then head east, I prefer Sedwick, Phillips, and Yuma Counties. Try to find walk in with thickest , nastiest cover, and you've got a shot at jumping some birds. And be on the lookout for quail. I've seen quite a few lately. Try to outsmart the birds as they will learn quickly how to outsmart you!

Back