need a new job

mmelton

I need a new job. Also need to make about 50,000 per year to keep up with my bills. Problems would be I have been in the same business for the last 18 years straight out of junior high and through my high school years don't know much else. I never went to a University after high school plus don't have much for computer skills. I also may not be the fastest at learning things. Other problem is my driving record. I have made a few mistakes that would not look to good on my record. I do have a license and will have a class B CDL by December. I consider myself a good leader and people person who is pretty comfortable talking to anyone. I drove for the company I work for now and then they made me operations manager for the last 6 years. The company bought out the one I started with and kept me employed and promoted me so that was nice. I'm in charge of about 35 to 40 people in our busy season and it dwindles down to about 12 people in the slow months.
I think I'm being taken advantage of at work now. I'm on salary and every year they give me more and more task to do at work so they don't have to pay other people to do it. I'm working 50 to 55 hours per week. This just takes up just too much time compared to my pay. I asked for a raise for the first time In my life a few weeks ago and I was told just to work harder at getting my bonus that would be a raise. I think I have only called off sick 13 times in all of my life and think I am a very loyal employee. I'm not getting the same back from these people any more.
If anyone is looking for a loyal employee I could be interested in finding a new job.
Send me personal messages please.

feel stupid now

Feel stupid for even posting this now. guess I have the summer time blues just need bird season to open back up. What do I have to complain about. I'm making good money have a great wife and child to come home to every day. I just need to suck it up I guess.

Don't feel dumb. I'm coming up on my 7yr at my job and I've been itching to move on myself.

I wouldn't worry about it. I commend you for working in the same field for the last 18yrs. I have heard others that are salaried employee's state that have the same feelings of under appreciation. We all like to think our hard work will be rewarded at the end of the year. Things will feel better once you earn that bonus.

staying at the same company nowadays seem to put you behind the curve.
its common to have what ive heard called a portfolio career,meaning an assortment i guess.
alot of folks were scared to move because of the effing " economy " couldnt seem to get restarted until lately. m.o;what restarted it is what always restarts it, the american worker
theres an old sayiny in the plumbing /heating business." once a helper always a helper" in other word you gotts move to move up

unless you work for the gov'ment, those jobs you stick hard to
no matter what your age ,retirement saving must be a priority
good luck

I need a new job. Also need to make about 50,000 per year to keep up with my bills. Problems would be I have been in the same business for the last 18 years straight out of junior high and through my high school years don't know much else. I never went to a University after high school plus don't have much for computer skills. I also may not be the fastest at learning things. Other problem is my driving record. I have made a few mistakes that would not look to good on my record. I do have a license and will have a class B CDL by December. I consider myself a good leader and people person who is pretty comfortable talking to anyone. I drove for the company I work for now and then they made me operations manager for the last 6 years. The company bought out the one I started with and kept me employed and promoted me so that was nice. I'm in charge of about 35 to 40 people in our busy season and it dwindles down to about 12 people in the slow months.
I think I'm being taken advantage of at work now. I'm on salary and every year they give me more and more task to do at work so they don't have to pay other people to do it. I'm working 50 to 55 hours per week. This just takes up just too much time compared to my pay. I asked for a raise for the first time In my life a few weeks ago and I was told just to work harder at getting my bonus that would be a raise. I think I have only called off sick 13 times in all of my life and think I am a very loyal employee. I'm not getting the same back from these people any more.
If anyone is looking for a loyal employee I could be interested in finding a new job.
Send me personal messages please.

Hold on to what you have. You quit and you will find out how hard i is to find a job. You what 50'000 a year you need to have better skills than driving. Companys are hurting , do to the Obama admin. The private sector jobs are under attack. Either find a knew job, before quiting the old job, or hang on to the one you have. This 7.5 unemployment rate is a joke. More like 20% and growing.

This 7.5 unemployment rate is a joke. More like 20% and growing.

Dead on target. The real unemployment rate is close to 20%. Thats the "U6" number which includes the people who have flat out given up looking for work. Zero doesnt count those in the official gvmt numbers.:rolleyes:

NB

I quit driving for this company 7 years ago when they put me in management for them. It started out with a small raise and then had one good jump in pay the following year. The last few years I have only had 2 percent raises and the cost of living is going up faster than my pay. They send us to these big meetings every spring and tell us how great the company is doing and how we all are a big part of the success they have to get us motivated. This last year the company had 150 million in sales and was up from three years ago from 110 million to the 150 mark. Hey that's great. I'm not worried of the place shutting down anytime soon. I just think I could get paid a little bit more. Just a little. My location does 1.75 million.

Like I said I have never asked for a raise before from the company and think i'm due is all.

Over all I like my job and think i'm pretty good at it. I would never quit unless something great fell into my lap. I get three weeks paid vacation too so those weeks off really help me relax every September and December I take a week to find birds.

Yea you think your entitled to a raise. The cost of materials and fuel is killing your company. Your in the same spot a lot of people are in. You might be able to find a better job, or you might not. Find a better job first or hold on to the one you have. 18 years is not crap. I've been working for my company for 28 and in 2010 I had to take a 50% cut in pay. Thing is I still have a job and can pay my bills. Oh and 250 employee have lost there jobs. Just saying you need to think this out very carefully.:thumbsup::cheers:

Don't let the mid-life blues get you:) It sounds like the company is stable and thats hard to find right know. Good things come to those who wait Maybe a nice bonus:thumbsup: Think about health care and stuff like that too. Good luck:)

Back