Nebraska Sharp-tails???

rsm

Can anyone give some pointers to a first timer? We are planning an early season trip to NE for grouse and pheasants.

Any suggestions on where in the western part of the state to focus? I have never chased sharp-tails so I am not even sure where to begin.....

Just looking for some general ideas of historically where the population is better....

I've never hunted Nebraska. My brother-in-law hunted out in the Sand Hills for praire chickens. For sharpies you want wide open grasslands.

See my post(RK Special K) in the thread entitled "Sharpies" on 3-13-10. I have not specifically hunted sharpies yet in Nebraska but I am going for the opener this year. I don't like hunting sharpies in wide open grassland - to hard to find and they tend to flush wild. Instead catch them hunkering down in plum thickets, etc. along hillsides. Some will escape early but a lot of them will explode in your face. Ocassionally you will flush a BIG praire ranch rooster that has never seen a hunter - nice bonus!

Thanks for the tip, that post was helpful. Never hunted sharptails so any advice anyone can provide is helpful....

Nebraska sharptails

I've hunted them for years. Only way to do it predictably in the sandhills is to seek altitude. Climb up on the highest set of ridges running north-south, look for slightly taller grass, ( less grazed). Sharpies spend the hot part of the day in the early season just over the edge of the ridge, where they get a breeze. They spend time foraging on crickets and ripe rose hips, no use of agricultural ground whatsoever. Will hold for dogs about a third of the time. Somwe will get up wild, some will get up at easy shooting distance. It's a shoeleather endurance hunt, and though the cover is light, you'll get a workout like never before. You will encounter rattlesnakes, and possibly porcupines, right out there in the middle of nowhere, not a tree in sight. Prairie chickens in the same country, but tend to be in the heavier vegatation, lower on the slopes, hold like ticks for the dog. Later in the year, November, same tactics work, but birds are generally wilder, but there will be days you have to stomp them up. On wild flushes, follow up quickly to the flush site, for some reason always a bird or two sits it out, almost a sure thing. As far as following up flushed birds, generally don't bother, ocassionally they will set within site, but usually they gain altitude turn into the wind and fly high and far like migrating waterfowl, 2 or 3 miles. Can be the best and most frustrating hunt of your life. If you don't find yourself 5 miles from the truck, asking "is this fun, what the hell am I doing here?" you aren't doing it right. Most pastures have windmills, I drink right out of the spout, but it's a long way down to the water and back up the hill, for a drink. Take water bladders for both man and beast, it's worth the extra weight. Also these birds are not tough to bring down like a pheasant can be. shot lots at seemed like marginal range with 2 3/4 high velocity 6's in a twenty gauge. Carry a light gun, dress light, comfortable footwear, that provides a stable platform, the sand gives as you walk, particularly climbing or descending, hard on the ankles. Be in condition to walk 10-12 miles a day, up and down, this is more like a mountain big game hunt than a standard bird hunt. Priceless experience, unrivaled country, pretty much like God made it. Despite what you read on this site, the birds are excellent table fare, clean them fast, cook them fresh, enjoy. Good luck.

correction

In my previous post I said sharpies are eating crickets and rose hips, actually eating mostly grasshoppers and rose hips, they really like the hoppers, what bird wouldn't, after a light freeze they are like kids in a candy store. I also wrote " work North/South hills", there really aren't any, almost all sandhills run east/ west, and that's what I should have said. To much writing, not enough concentration. Apologies to all.

Back