Nebraska One Box Hunt

Anyone here ever have the chance to hunt the one box hunt in Broken Bow? Growing up in Nebraska it was my dream to someday hunt in the One Box hunt. I realize there are certain fee's and requirements to obtain an invite, I would like to visit with anyone who has actually been part of this hunt in some way. The One Box hunt is truly one of the great pheasant hunting traditions in this country.

I and two or three of my friends hunted in it in probably 1985 or 86. Got disqualified because my chocolate lab kept walking over and picking up the supposedly wild pheasants. She had only ever hunted wild birds before and would be walking around, reach down and pick up a pheasant and bring it to me. We were warned once and disqualified the second time. The judge who was with us swore they were wild birds but in 55+ years of hunting I have never seen that unless they are almost frozen. They were not very wild planted birds and they knew it. I don’t remember the cost but I know it was quite a bit of money for me at the time. We only brought my dog because the other guys had shorthairs and a vizsla and Brandy was a fantastic retriever. It left a bad taste in my mouth and I never wanted to go back.

I and two or three of my friends hunted in it in probably 1985 or 86. Got disqualified because my chocolate lab kept walking over and picking up the supposedly wild pheasants. She had only ever hunted wild birds before and would be walking around, reach down and pick up a pheasant and bring it to me. We were warned once and disqualified the second time. The judge who was with us swore they were wild birds but in 55+ years of hunting I have never seen that unless they are almost frozen. They were not very wild planted birds and they knew it. I don’t remember the cost but I know it was quite a bit of money for me at the time. We only brought my dog because the other guys had shorthairs and a vizsla and Brandy was a fantastic retriever. It left a bad taste in my mouth and I never wanted to go back.

agree, quickest way to get bad press is run a half assed hunt like this.....it's a celebrity contest, about what i would expect, pass.

How did you do in the sporting clay competition prior to hunt? Did you enjoy the charity dinner and auction? Who sponsored you guys? What did your team donate to the auction?

It has been 34-35 years since then and I don't remember the sporting clay competition and barely remember the dinner. I don't remember it being anything special. We were sponsored by one of the team members brother from Omaha and three of the members owned a hunting preserve and donated a hunt for that. We all chipped in to cover the cost of the hunt.

Back