ND pheasant help

1stout

I have been wanting to try pheasant hunting in ND for a while but it is difficult to find much info. Are there many birds in the Wishek area or would I need to look further west? Anyone have any connections for a cheap house to rent in a pheasant area? I prefer hunting later in the season. I also prefer hunting in small groups (2-3) which is why I am looking to ND, SD is starting to get to be too busy for me. I just picked Wishek because I have a customer in town there but he isn't much help when it comes to hunting information. I'm not looking for anything specific, just suggestions to get started. Thanks

My friend hunts public land around Bismarck in early November and does pretty well. He stays at a motel near town. You should do fairly well where you plan to go. However, the SW area of ND has the most birds. Get a PLOTS book. They don't mail them out. You'll have to pick one up when you get there. Maybe just call someone in the town you plan to go to and they can give you some ideas about lodging.

I hunted the NW of ND 10/16 on and did pretty well. We take a motorhome and hook up to a friend's house.

Zeeland ND

I have been wanting to try pheasant hunting in ND for a while but it is difficult to find much info. Are there many birds in the Wishek area or would I need to look further west? Anyone have any connections for a cheap house to rent in a pheasant area? I prefer hunting later in the season. I also prefer hunting in small groups (2-3) which is why I am looking to ND, SD is starting to get to be too busy for me. I just picked Wishek because I have a customer in town there but he isn't much help when it comes to hunting information. I'm not looking for anything specific, just suggestions to get started. Thanks

Take a look... I own a house in Zeeland ND close to Wishek. PM me... good hunting in that area. I hunt Oct, Nov, and Dec.

If you go in late Nov or Dec you should be able to find a motel in most towns. The hunting is usually good in the area around New England/Regent/Mott in the SW. The later you go there are fewer hunters and the PLOTS units should have birds again.

Most of the birds I have taken in ND have more fat on them than even SD birds. With those bad winters they need it.

If you go in late Nov or Dec you should be able to find a motel in most towns. The hunting is usually good in the area around New England/Regent/Mott in the SW. The later you go there are fewer hunters and the PLOTS units should have birds again.

Just a note about hunting in the SW in case the original poster wasn't aware. SW NoDak especially in and around the Regent/Mott area is highly commercialized now just as South Dakota is and paying to get on private land is quite common amongst a large portion of the landowners in that area. If your looking for private land to hunt for free in this area I would look elsewhere.

Last edited:
Get a PLOTS book. They don't mail them out. You'll have to pick one up when you get there.

Actually, if you know the general area that you will be staying, you can go to the NDG&F website and download individual PLOT maps by their respective numbers and print them out.

Just a note about hunting in the SW in case the original poster wasn't aware. SW NoDak especially in and around the Regent/Mott area is highly commercialized now just as South Dakota is and paying to get on private land is quite common amongst a large portion of the landowners in that area. If your looking for private land to hunt for free in this area I would look elsewhere.

I second that. Mostly commercial hunting now.

Hunted in the Ashley area week of 10/16. Plenty of crops down in the area and saw a good amount of birds each time out. Should get better with removal of remaining crops. Ran into a lady at the local diner who handles renting houses out for a bunch of houses in town, so there is good potential to find a place in this area. Contact the town and they will send you a list of places for rent.

we cater to small groups and have lots of free land to hunt. the late season is fun and quite.The only thing you have to watch for is snow storms they drift in the roads and limit you access

Hunted in the Ashley area week of 10/16. Plenty of crops down in the area and saw a good amount of birds each time out. Should get better with removal of remaining crops. Ran into a lady at the local diner who handles renting houses out for a bunch of houses in town, so there is good potential to find a place in this area. Contact the town and they will send you a list of places for rent.

just a heads up i received from a lady from Ashley. there is a crew coming in beginning in March to erect 2 wind farms which will take 3 years to complete.
not sure how many workers we are talking about, but if this info is accurate rentals for hunters may be hard to come by....FWIW.

Back