my wife suckered me

turtle

Wife found some pups on craigslist. Lab water spaniel mix. She picked one out. Was not the one I picked so we are now house breaking two. Has anyone had any dealings with the water spaniel breed? Real excited about the mix.

spaniel

that was my first dog, as a kid i didn't know anyting, she tried teaching me everything she she new but then she didn't know much except when the gun went off to the truck she went. my first pet and that was it. name was rascal and that was about 65 years ago, so maybe they have gotten better

cheers

Only spent some time with field bred, so can't speak to your pups, but...

you can pretty much direct any breed of dog to be your hunting companion with a lot of exposure and even more encouragement. The more time you can take your pups out and let them learn the lessons in their dna, the better your odds of having a partner in the field.

They may not be field champions, but if you EXPECT them to work with you and encourage that, they'll do their best.

And that's all you can expect, right?

Gonna be fun.

:thumbsup:

Only spent some time with field bred, so can't speak to your pups, but...

you can pretty much direct any breed of dog to be your hunting companion with a lot of exposure and even more encouragement. The more time you can take your pups out and let them learn the lessons in their dna, the better your odds of having a partner in the field.

They may not be field champions, but if you EXPECT them to work with you and encourage that, they'll do their best.

And that's all you can expect, right?

Gonna be fun.

:thumbsup:

you got that right. to have a fun hunting companion, the difference is a dog that gets to go and one that doesn't. other things help but more dogs are set back because of their owner and the one's the make the grade, for the most part are inspite of them, otherwise, they either got it or they don't

cheers

If it hunts then thats icing on the cake. If not, then you still have a nice companion and in the end thats all that really matters.

If it hunts then thats icing on the cake. If not, then you still have a nice companion and in the end thats all that really matters.

my girl friend doesn't hunt worth a damn but she is a pretty good companion. when if comes to sales though, she has a pretty good nose

cheers

I guess I should have mentioned that they will be house dog/ hunters. My pick is the most onery pup I have ever had. And stays up 22 hours a day. He did act interested in some snow birds today. Even gave chase to one.

pick a better puppy

in my about 50 years i have lost just a glove to one of my mutts. my daughter and girlfriend s haven't been so lucky i take em' hunting and play with them, so called training, the women did all the work like cleaning up after them and feeding etc. i think it is related to biting the hand that feeds you. quit feeding your dog and let somebody else do it, that'll at least save your stuff. hey! works for me

Wha...? oh, oh... I see....

you thought you were training THEM!

Hahahaha...that's so cute.

:D

TRUE! Puppies do a good job of training you to pick up important stuff. Sometimes it's nice though, like when it helps your kids remember to put their dirty clothes into the laundry instead of on the floor.:thumbsup:

I read somewhere not to ever scold your dog for bringing you an object, and consequently I am always being presented with mittens, hats, stuffed animal toys etc,. I always just tell the dog, "thanks", and hand whatever it is to the kids. Daisy is always sooooo proud of herself when she makes a good mitten retrieve. :laugh: Thankfully all the dogs are past the chewing stage.:cheers:

When they were pups I threw away quite a few pairs of my wife's shoes (one good shoe and one mangled shoe) before she found them. I would bury them pretty deep in the outside trash cans, and it usually took awhile for her to notice they were missing. I rationalized it by convincing myself that she shouldn't leave her shoes all over the house... :laugh:

Wife: I can't find my black shoes.
Me: Oh no, that sucks, do you want me to buy you some new shoes?
Wife: Your damn dog ate them, didn't she!?
Me: You don't have any proof of that. My offer to buy you new shoes still stands...

Ahhh, the good old days.

Last edited:
Puppies are so over rated. They have moved on to library books. I have now purchased three . They should be getting smarter all the books they have ate. The boys book bag was on the console of my truck with the pups in the back seat. Twenty minute trip cost $67.50.

My Britt pup loves pillows, He has 5 confirmed kills. Shakes them until he has a pile of fluff. Then hes done with it.
Second is a roll of paper towels, Holy crap! does he have fun with that!:eek:
Can't believe my Wife is so good about it all. :eek:

We are pretty entertained with it all. :confused::eek:

Since we're sharing stories, I'll share mine. We had two indoor dogs, a fat beagle and a lab. About 5 years ago my wife brings home 6 boxes of Girl Scout cookies and leaves them on the table. There was 5 boxes of her favorites and 1 box of my favorites (thin mints). Next day we get home from work and they had pulled the sack off the table and tore into the boxes. The only box left untouched was the thin mints!

Since we're sharing stories, I'll share mine. We had two indoor dogs, a fat beagle and a lab. About 5 years ago my wife brings home 6 boxes of Girl Scout cookies and leaves them on the table. There was 5 boxes of her favorites and 1 box of my favorites (thin mints). Next day we get home from work and they had pulled the sack off the table and tore into the boxes. The only box left untouched was the thin mints!

Totally priceless. :10sign:

Back