My Pup gave me a Classic Hunt

dc240nt

Not being a dog trainer and this being my first bird dog, I find myself expecting alot more out of her then then I should. We went out yesterday for a quick afternoon hunt and I got to see just what its all about. I seen combines rolling through a soybean field that was next to a large public area. So away we went. There was a nice steady south wind, so we took the north edge of the grassland, which was abutting the bean field. I figured if they spooked any birds out of the field, they would be in this northern end. Sure enough, 300 yards from the pickup I watch Elsie start working a scent cone. At first her head was up high and she was excited as she ran back and forth east and west slowly working her way to the south. Then she slowed way down and the last 3 maybe 4 yards were at a walk. Then suddenly she stopped, stuck her tail strait in the air, lowered her head and pointed her nose strait out, lifted a leg and hunched her shoulders. I hurried to possition myself and gave her the command to realease. She flushed the bird 10 feet in front of her and I folded it at 25 yards. Perfect!! We have some work to do with the retrieve, but we'll get there with that, we just need more birds. Now that I have deer season behind me thats exactly what she'll be getting. I can't wait to go again.

PB110004Largee-mailview.jpg

PB110003Largee-mailview.jpg

These are the moments UPH'ers live for! I'm glad to hear of your success with your pup! I hope my new pup works as well for me.

Thanks for sharing your story and pics:thumbsup:

Learn from you dog!

That is a a great story! what's better is you both will continue to learn from each other and it just keeps getting better. One thing I have learned over 20 plus years of hunting behind dogs is trust them to do their jobs, I see alot of guys trying to over correct their dogs when actually the dog knows more than the hunter on where the birds are. With that being said I better heed my own advise this weekend with my 11 month old britt. Good Luck Safe Hunting.. I AM WEST BOUND AND DOWN TO KILL'EM

I hollered Rooster just as you gave the release and it flushed!!! lol Great story, thanks for sharing. Got me riled up, going to pack some more! WOW:10sign:

Back