My Pheasant Program

keskam

Back in early March I made a decision that I want to get them crazy ditch chickens reestablished were I live, So I ordered 160 Pheasants form Steve, he hatched them and grew them until they were 8 weeks old, we thought that would be a good time to let them go, So mid June i released 160 Pheasants in a 1 1/2 mile area, talked to the farmers, put them in the best situations were there was food, water, and good cover, I planted 10 acres of switchgrass in the back part of some of my acres, it has come up great and is knee high right now.

As of today, the farmers and i see good groups of pheasants running together, anywere from 6 to 25 they are eating well nice and plump, I was training dogs the other day and 7 come flying into my grass in the back of my property, they are using the tall grass and weeds to roost and are moving to wheat and other fields to feed, so far so good.

We have had a few hit by vehicles, I almost hit one. They brought a big truck to a standstill one day as there were around 25 that woudl not get out of the road, so i took my 4 wheeler and scattered them of the road.

This is a 3 year project for me, i will restock the next to years, and i am hoping to see chicks next year in the spring, but right now i like what i see, they have adapted nicely. It is reall cool to go out in the morning or evening and hear a couple of Roosters talking it up,,,,

Keskem, Your doing a good thing. Penned raised birds do work with the correct attention.
Keep us posted. THANKS!!!

That is good work. Thank you for your effort.

We have had a few hit by vehicles, I almost hit one. They brought a big truck to a standstill one day as there were around 25 that would not get out of the road, so i took my 4 wheeler and scattered them of the road.

i would stir them up and chase them a bit with your 4 wheeler, their instincts are not as sharp as wild birds, may help your survival rate.

From what I've gathered over years of study...it takes the kind of work you have been putting into it, and even then, some bizarre weather systems that sustain themselves can do serious damage.

Congratulations on a job well done. Really nice to read something positive.

:thumbsup:

Back in early March I made a decision that I want to get them crazy ditch chickens reestablished were I live, So I ordered 160 Pheasants form Steve, he hatched them and grew them until they were 8 weeks old, we thought that would be a good time to let them go, So mid June i released 160 Pheasants in a 1 1/2 mile area, talked to the farmers, put them in the best situations were there was food, water, and good cover, I planted 10 acres of switchgrass in the back part of some of my acres, it has come up great and is knee high right now.

As of today, the farmers and i see good groups of pheasants running together, anywere from 6 to 25 they are eating well nice and plump, I was training dogs the other day and 7 come flying into my grass in the back of my property, they are using the tall grass and weeds to roost and are moving to wheat and other fields to feed, so far so good.

We have had a few hit by vehicles, I almost hit one. They brought a big truck to a standstill one day as there were around 25 that woudl not get out of the road, so i took my 4 wheeler and scattered them of the road.

This is a 3 year project for me, i will restock the next to years, and i am hoping to see chicks next year in the spring, but right now i like what i see, they have adapted nicely. It is reall cool to go out in the morning or evening and hear a couple of Roosters talking it up,,,,

Nice Kevin:thumbsup::10sign: Glad to hear that things are working out for y'all with the chickens....Now only if the DOW for Colorado would make the same concerted effort for areas of the state that can and do sustain a decent population of pheasants....amazing that you are able to do what the DOW cannot or will not.

All I hear on this list sometimes are excuses as to why it won't work or hasn't. Baloney, bottom line is that this state has and always will be a big game state and could give .02cts for the small game or waterfowl habitat and such....just my opinion is all.

Hope to see you this weekend at Dale and Brenda's for the APLA test...

Greg

I was talking to a good friend from South dakota and he said the reason the Pheasants dont reproduce good around Rapid City is because of the ground. The way i take it is the birds are not getting what they need in there feed to reproduce, anybody have any take on that?

I do agree all it takes is one bad storm to screw up everything, I hope that doesnt happen.... There were around 8 roosters and 4 hens in my front yard this morning, they look really good, they look like they are getting good feed,

Also the guy in South Dakota said that Pheasants cant process corn or soy beans until they are older, So is that why Bugs are so important for the birds?

Sure Keskam bugs are so very important for young pheasant broods to survive. Insects really won't be a problem in your area, you have higher precipe, and more favorable climate, then normal in most of SD. The problem is, your in more of a wooded area. WOODY COVER WITHIN A GRASSLAND is SO VERY important. Grassland within woody cover has limited value for pheasants. Pheasant won't be hanging around the Ponderosa Pines hills and bluffs.
However, those valleys and farming areas with the diverse habitat is PRIME pheasant country all through your area and South. :cheers:

I mean the Rapid City area and the Black Hills region.

Back