My opinion SD looks great for this year.

Bob

Just returned from SD did some mowing of a couple tree belts after some rain, before some more rain and while it was raining!

My opinion I think things are going to be great this year. On my very wet walk about my ponds are all full of water, the draws have some running water Kochia is starting to grow, grass looks great and while walking found numerous nests with a bunch of eggs. Most nests had 12-14 eggs and several had 16. Also, my food plots are planted with a good three to four inches of growth. My new tree belt has been planted and when it dries the fabric will just need to get put down.

Gosh it was just beautiful with all the green. With the upcoming warmer weather things are going to explode in growth.

I didn't stray on to any other property but most looked like mine from the road.

Last edited:
good to hear...roughly, where are you located? I am heading out in two weeks or so to get some things taken care of....my ground is between Mitchell and Huron...has been wet, but that may be OK for insect production, cover production, and perhaps a delayed first haying? Trying to see things from a glass half full point of view....

Didn't see any chicks but would guess that is going to change as the next three weeks progress. I will be out and about in a couple weeks spraying thistle and I would expect I'll see some then.

Again it was just beautiful. Moisture was great, good cover is growing and I bet with the diversity of plants at least on many places the insect hatch will be great for the little birds to feast on.

One can't count out mother nature's variables as changing things but at this time I'm very optimistic.

when i was out in that country as off may 10-13 the pheasants were spotty at best not all over the place but there was clusters of birds wear there was still water holes now i assume there is plenty of water around the areas were there wasnt a month ago but the lack of birds i seen was still not very high at all i seen the same birds daily were there was habitat left with water but i did hear way more birds in nebraska then i did in south dakota not far from them county BOB mentioned i actually drove through lyman county... that drought hurt some breeding populations im sure over in SD not every inch of the state thow so im sure SD still has plenty of pheasants but it was the least amount of pheasants i have ever seen while driving on I-90 from chamberlain to belvidere i used to see hundreds of pheasants on that short drive this year we maybe seen 40-50 at most i drove that route 3 times 6 if u include out west & back so it was not a fluke my brother seen the same thing on his travels through SD hope them birds just moved else wear???

seen plenty of sharptails & a few chickens while out in SD thow...

Did some spot spraying for thistle today---the CP33 plots are looking really good with a abundant crop of purple prairie clover this year--did not see any chicks but then most places I stopped the grass was at chin level or more with me sitting on the ATV--what a difference from last year--of course the thistle is doing real good to--LOL---EVERYTHING IS GROWING LIKE HECK--I still hear roosters crowing a lot but the hens must still be on the nests as I just don't see any of them. Brome grass around here is up to 6 ft tall and thick as can be---going to be lots of cover and maybe a late harvest so early hunting could be really tough.:D :cheers::cheers:

Back