My gsp and quail

Emanuel2b

This my second year Hunting and I have a trained gsp that's 2 1/2 years old. I've taken him Hunting and I wanted to know a lot of times he goes on point but no bird.. Is he just picking up old scent?? And he is patient on his point but sometimes when he runs by and doesn't pick up scent on a bird in a bush that I walk by and I end up flushing them on accident Lol.. Is that normal?does that just have to do with wind? And these Damn birds just don't hold they flush so fast.. This is in Socal by the way. Just want to get opinions from other dog handlers. This is my 3rd hunt with him. Will he improve the more I go out and hunt?

Scenting conditions have been very poor around here lately and worse in SoCal I'm sure. Give him time, the more he hunts the more he'll learn. You may want to refrain from shooting any birds that aren't properly pointed if that's what you ultimately expect out of the dog. Good luck, have fun. This year is tough so with the low bird numbers and all but you have to stay with it.

Until dogs get a fair amount of experience you will get points that do not produce birds, ..... it still happens some with experienced dogs when birds are running.

Sounds to me exactly what you should expect from a dog that has good pointing instincts and is getting experience.

Back