My first double!

crockett

We don't (usually) have very high bird density here in Nova Scotia, so chances at true doubles are relatively rare. When I've been given the chance I've always gotten "double fever", and flubbed my first shot - being happy to just get one bird out of the flush in the end. But this year we're experiencing extremely high pheasant density, at least in the covers that I am hunting. I've had four chances at doubles this year when I still had an empty limit (our limit is two). In the first three instances I got overwhelmed by the number of birds in the air and the knowledge that there were numerous roosters in the bunch, and missed my first shot. Monday I went out and my buddy's GSP started pointing right away. Having been shot at for more than three weeks already, the birds started creeping down to a gap in the cover and the hens started flushing. Tessa, the GSP, pushed and pushed her way down and I guess they just piled up in there at the gap in the cover. Finally one rooster popped out, a bit too far, so I hustled to get down there and a pair of rooster came out. THis time I took a half-second to plant my feet and conciously shot the far bird, then swung on the near bird and dropped him right ontop of the first. It was 10 years in the making, but I finally got my first aerial double! I think I was grinning all day long!

That's your American Thanksgiving present, right there.

Nice work. Feels good when you do what you know you can do, but haven't done, doesn't it?

er...wait a minute, that's confusing...no, I think that's right.

hmm...ok, let's just cut that back to:

Nice work. Feels good, eh?

:D

Come to South Dakota and work on a triple--I've done it once with a 870 back in the 80's when I was a lot younger and still had reflexes that worked.
congrats on that first double. :thumbsup:

Very nice, Crockett! I'm still waiting for my first "true" double...I've done a "report" double before, but never a true. It'll happen soon though b/c after happening a couple times in recent memory, I'm waiting for the chance and I've rehearsed "take your time if its a double, take your time..."

Again, congratulations! I'd be beaming too:thumbsup:

Cool to see a pheasant double for you, especially in Nova Scotia. I'm curious what other kind of game birds are available up there??

Back