My Dilemma

Mr Hyde

I had a PudelPointer drop in my lap last February he is 2yr old and I believe has had very little training, I had him out 7 times this past year to do a so-called evaluation on him. the results I thought he did pretty good he would point but wouldn't hold the point, never owning a pointing dog before my questions is this :

Where should I start his training ?? any information would be much appreciated
thank you

MJ

Dilema soloution

Mr. Hyde,
Try this. I had to do it with a partners adopted setter. Actually this is a good time of the year for training. Begin with birds. Planted birds and a check line. Assuming the dog understands the "whoa" command. Set the dog up for positive performance in which you walk the dog into the planted birds. Keeping the "Check line" taught but not tight advance on the dog firmly but softly commanding the dog to "Whoa". when you move next to the dog softly stroke the dog telling it "Good Whoa". You are effectively telling the dog that they are doing the correct thing and reinforcing it with the soft stroking petting. Do not release the dog until after the bird has been flushed. It has been my experience that if you allow the dog to chase the bird as it flushes you will neve completely win this battle. And of course you know that you have won the battle when you can get rid of the check cord. Remember that if the dog breaks do not shoot the bird and allow him to retreive it. I hope that this helps.

Buy some quail and a checkcord and make him staunch on point.
I rescued a 3 year old Pudelpointer from the pound. I knew where the dog came from as I had arranged the breeding and owned his sister. The original owners used him on ducks and geese only and he was terrific in retrieving. Softest mouth I have own in about 20 dogs in my lifetime, but initially did not hold point. 3 sessions with quail and he has been staunch as a statue ever since.
get on the checkcord as soon as he points the planted bird. Softly say whoa and stroke his side. Once he is good and stiff I did this for up to ten minutes.
You can whoa break him and use the collor in the field once he understands he is told to hold point.
Join your local NAVHDA CLUB and you can get some help for free.
________
VAPORITE SOLO

Last edited:
I agree with the opinions already offered. I want to stress most of all, before you try to make it "steady on point." Make sure it is very obedient on "WHOA" I mean instant stop and don't move. I have my dog trained to whoa 3 ways; whistle, voice and hand. That is how important I feel it is. Yes, I'll admit there are times I have to whoa him, where I feel I'm hampering him. But it has to be done sometimes.

Back