Muddy Creek Kennel GSP

Deadbird

I got no response for this in the dog section, so I thought I would try here.

Anyone ever hunt behide a GSP from Muddy Creek Kennel (in MO).

Any reviews would be appreciated.

Thanks.

They have a bit of everything as far as pedigrees. Hustler, Rawhide and the combination of the two. It is going to be what you are looking for in a dog. Talk to them about what you want and if they are any good they will fit you with the best possible dog that fits what you want or are looking for. The two dog lines are from different countries in origin and each has it's own attributes. They have been selling dogs for many years if that helps.

I own a dog from Muddy Creek. Best dog I've ever owned. Complete natural ability. Want to hunt behind him?

Muddy Creek is in Jasper, MO right? (10 miles from where I'm typing right now).

My boss bought one from them 15 years ago he had told me a few years back. He had zero issues.

Jasper MO area GSPs

I bought two dogs from this area back in 99. They were both world class dogs. One of my Soldiers has a GSP out of muddy creek and it is a very good dog. I bought my one dog from Northfork kennels. I don't think they are in business anymore but this area has produced some really good dogs over the last 20 years.

Tom

I just bought a dog from them for Christmas and ran into a parasite issue in the intestines. The breeder handled it pretty well when told and it just cost me a few bucks to correct. I'll definitely get another pup from them. The nose on this dog already is unreal! Can't wait to start training this little guy. Although I may be on here with suggestions on how to start this guy out!
12073318095_79c267e957_b.jpg

Last edited:
Beware

I got no response for this in the dog section, so I thought I would try here.

Anyone ever hunt behide a GSP from Muddy Creek Kennel (in MO).

Any reviews would be appreciated.

Thanks.

They seem to care more about corn than they do the dogs in their run down kennels

just got a dog from the in August..it is malnourished (says the Vet)..has worms..has bad ear mites...has a hernia..and is afraid of it's own shadow.

The GSP I got from him almost 5 years ago is the best dog I've ever hunted behind. If you look at my response from a few year's back I too ran into some health issues. You know it's funny because mine is an absolute coward too. He doesn't like loud noises and is on the submissive side to says the least. Although, once I get him in a field it's honestly like a different dog. He becomes secure and ready to work hard, I mean totally different dog. I hope yours does the same. Sorry to hear about the issues, when the time comes maybe I'll look other places. Strange how my dog and your dog is skittish....

had and trained my own bird dogs since I was 12..now 62
almost the only reason for a timid skittish dog ...is a heavy hand...if you get my meaning.
honestly, the dog I got was afraid of a tree...and was super cautious about eating a burger I got for him on the way home.

The GSP I got from him almost 5 years ago is the best dog I've ever hunted behind. If you look at my response from a few year's back I too ran into some health issues. You know it's funny because mine is an absolute coward too. He doesn't like loud noises and is on the submissive side to says the least. Although, once I get him in a field it's honestly like a different dog. He becomes secure and ready to work hard, I mean totally different dog. I hope yours does the same. Sorry to hear about the issues, when the time comes maybe I'll look other places. Strange how my dog and your dog is skittish....

I don't think that is "Strange " at all. A guy who bought a dog @ MCK from Michigan told a similar story on Mi. Sportsman a few years ago. I relayed that information to the OP some years ago. Good Luck to both you guys.

NB

took the dog to the Vet...the girls got down on the floor with him..they were very sweet and talked very nice to him.
he wouldn't move an inch to them, quivered and cowed and pissed all over the floor.
Somebody might be alright with that..but I'm sure not. it is an embarrassment.

although now he is much better with me and the wife...but still afraid of strangers...don't know how the guys I hunt with are going to take this.

So Natty are you saying there is something he's doing to produce dogs that are naturally scared (after birth)? Or do you think it's something in the bloodline?

adhcompany, honestly my GSP still pisses to this day. Although it's getting to be a lot rarer. You want to be humbled take him to a dog park. Flops on his back and pisses. It's tested my pride... I was really nervous when I took him to the farm to hear gun shots for the first time. He was pretty gun shy and I was thinking I had a dud. Once he hit 6 months I got him on quail and at that point the drive took over and it's been good ever since. I will say when I'm hunting I've never seen him pee or flop on his back. I can't stress enough he is a totally different dog. He's in his element and he doesn't want be pet or coddled. I feel he's saying stay out of my way and let me do what I love. He has a great nose, holds well, and retrieves to hand so I'm very happy! Honestly, there is no better feeling than when my hunting buddies compliment me on his work. That's when I can stick my chest out and be like "that's my dog". Then we get home and people talk to him in a high voice tone and he pisses.............:confused:

I've totaled the number of bird dogs that I raised and trained myself...comes to 14. Not saying I'm any kind of expert but I've never made a coward dog and have had some find dogs.
I've seen some that had "heavy hands" put on them that turned them timid and I've seen overuse of Shock collars that did that too.
I paid for this "trained dog" that isn't...the only thing he's trained to do is eat, sleep, and be afraid. I needed a trained one as I now have to drive over 75 miles one way to get to a place that has birds that I can run him on.
Vet says this dog is 10 months old...but I still haven't got any paperwork...looks like this season will be spent training instead of enjoying what I paid good money for.

Oh the joy of trusting somebody's word.

Man, that stinks..... I hope your hard work pays off and you have a fine dog. I'm sorry that didn't work out well for you.

I had a buddy get a dog from here and he would NOT recommend them. There was some sort of inbreeding where he got his dog with issues from the start. It passed away before the age of 4 because of that issue. He loved the dog but said their breeding practices we're unethical.

word needs to get out about this place...this dog I got from them still won't put on weight and has nervous ticks all night long..
I'm pouring the quality feed to him...28% protein and 18% fat...no grain
I'm a 62 yr old life long bird dog owner and this one I got from them is for certain got issues that are wrong. He came complete with a hernia I haven't got fixed yet.
I still haven't received paperwork on the dog after 2 months.

Am very sorry to hear about your friends dog...Thank you for telling us all.

Muddy Creek may have had a good reputation at one time...but it isn't going well for them now.

Back