MT Non Residents Bill

I listened to a podcast yesterday, can't remember the name, but they talked hunting seasons, and it sounds like adjustments for non-residents are happening all over. Manitoba waterfowl, SD archery deer and antelope, NE turkey. I don't think this is necessarily bad, as long as it is done with some common sense. I also think it'd be nice if they pass a law changing hunting rules, that they revisit it after three seasons and see if it's making a positive change or not.

2 bills currently tabled in committee:
Current Bill Progress: In Second House Committee--Tabled
with vote 19-0

SENATE BILL NO. 512 is also noteworthy:
the commission shall by rule limit the number of nonresident game bird licenses to 10%
of the number of licenses purchased the previous year by residents

SB512 could make it impossible for non-residents to legally hunt upland birds
if they are late in attempting a license purchase.

with vote 19-0

the commission shall by rule limit the number of nonresident game bird licenses to 10%

Wow that would shake things up!

with vote 19-0

Well that would cut down on hot spotting.

I have seen an increase in hunters in the last couple of years. People brag on the internet and telling everyone how to hunt MT. One guy does an internet show and goes through every step on camera of a MT bird hunt. This bill will do nothing. The only thing to do is lower bag limits 1 pheasant a day, 2 sharptails a day, 2 Huns a day. Protect the birds or in 5 years it wont matter they will be gone. Just look at every other state.
I agree that the internet has put people on montana, but the same goes for other states as well. Out of state hunters will continue to hit montana in the future, that's a given.

SENATE BILL NO. 512 :

SENATE BILL NO. 512 :

Out of curiosity what are the percentages and numbers for the last couple years. This will effect me since I don't start till after it freezes and the snakes and blue green algae are gone. I also hate crowds and November is a nicer month to hunt.

IDK, about the current situation, but when I was there in 2019 for sharpies I saw a couple hunters at the hotel. Never went to a spot and found it occupied. Saw way more hunters in Stanley, ND than Plentywood.

Is it opening weekend pheasant that's the problem?

Unfortunate.
I think there are better methods of reducing non-resident hunting pressure such as restricting non-resident pheasant opener to a week or 2 after
the regular opener for residents. Another method would be to limit non-residents to weekday only upland bird hunting.

The bill that limited non-residents to 28 days of hunting would not solve the excessive hunting pressure problem.

The ethanol law drastically reduced habitat and access in the corn belt.

That is what concentrated hunters

It’s been a disaster for wildlife and even the “environmental community “ that drove it now realizes it was a big mistake.

However the ethanol lobby is entrenched and there’s zero chance of changing it now.

The ethanol law drastically reduced habitat and access in the corn belt.

That is what concentrated hunters

It’s been a disaster for wildlife and even the “environmental community “ that drove it now realizes it was a big mistake.

However the ethanol lobby is entrenched and there’s zero chance of changing it now.
There were 88 million acres planted in corn last year
In 2015 there were 88 million acres planted in corn.
In 2010 there were 88 million acres planted in corn.
Does not seem like a substantial difference in acreage. . .

That’s a meaningless timeline, the ethanol mandate was put into law in 2006 if I remember correctly

Do a google search using “wildlife habitat loss since ethanol mandate”

It’s millions of acres

I’m in my 70s I watched it happen, the loss is huge it decimated grassland habitat and concentrated hunters in what’s left

That’s a meaningless timeline, the ethanol mandate was put into law in 2006 if I remember correctly

Do a google search using “wildlife habitat loss since ethanol mandate”

It’s millions of acres

I’m in my 70s I watched it happen, the loss is huge it decimated grassland habitat and concentrated hunters in what’s left
The acreage of corn has not increased substantially since 2001.
cornacreage.png

Back