Moving

I had a buddy coming from McAllen, Texas to central SD every year for our hunt. He made a 20 some hour ride to get there, but he never broke tradition and we saw him every fall. Luckily he came to his senses a few years back and moved to Indiana. Now it's only a 12 hour ride for him to come home to the prairie.

I grew up pheasant hunting in SE WI. Moved north and took up grouse and woodcock. Moved to Florida where I hunted quail and wood ducks. You hunt what you have available. Make the best of it. I wish you luck, but in my opinion, I'd rather live north than south. Except for maybe right now. Last year by this time of winter we had 1 night below zero. This year we've had 21. It's been below zero since Sunday after the Packer game. I sincerely hope they aren't wrong with their prediction of 30* highs for the weekend. The dog and I will be out ice fishing.

Well in Louisiana what you have to hunt is ducks, geese, alligators! I for some reason can't get excited by waterfowl, or alligators either. Ducks and geese are what we have in Missouri, anymore. I can drive down the by the corn fields, along the Missouri River, and see the fields and sky full of Canada Geese. Someday, I find the Valhalla of game with lots of huntable land. That is not endangered by the plow and tile, bored under by fracking, or been depleted of water. Could be grouse, prairie or other, pheasants, quail, I could hunt one or all, hot or cold, and be happy!

All is true, their quail hunting is coming around down there, so maybe I have a chance. With all the waterfowl hunters in Louisiana and the state starting to focus on bobwhites on public ground, maybe Ill be the only quail hunter out.

I hope you love it down there.

I couldn't do it. Worked for two years in NE Texas and the weather 'bout killed me.

Nice folks though, once they get a sense of you.

Have fun, be safe.

Why in the hell would you move there? Is it because of work? I visited New Orleans a few yrs. ago in the month of October. If you went outside after 9 am and did anything but sit still, you were drenched with sweat in a matter of minutes! The humidity there is unreal!

Job and wifes family. Plus the taxes in Nebraska are not making me happy. family down there has 900 acres. Plan on raisin some quail and release to hunt on that.

Back