Motels

Just finding one that takes dogs is the hard part. After that it's whatever they say.
Our dog cost $20 per night extra last weekend. We have about 4 we rotate through depending on the area. One mainly. All are reasonable and accommodating. I love the sign I saw at the check in desk last weekend. Hidden dogs-$250 per night. LOL

I have two dogs so I get my 40 dollars worth.🤣
Nah half the time they don’t even charge you.
What ticks me off are hunting towns with only one or two motels that are dog friendly or the ones that are only shitsu(sp) friendly

I got into it once with a desk clerk about my reservation. I made the reservation on-line. The listing and my confirmation clearly said dogs were allowed, but it seems only some rooms were dog-friendly and those were already taken. After arguing for a few minutes it was clear that she wasn't going to budge. I even offered to pay the "hidden dog fee". No dice there either. I left for dinner; she said she would call the owner. While at dinner I called the other motel in town and they had a room. That was a stroke of luck because in those days Kansas motels were full on opening weekend. So I checked in there. It was a dump but at least I didn't have to argue. The first motel tried to charge my card anyway. The credit card company sorted that out and got my money back.

Since then I make motel reservations directly with the property and over the phone, not the internet.

Since then I make motel reservations directly with the property and over the phone, not the internet.
I usually do this when hunting too. Even big chain hotels. Usually I want a specific room (if I've been there before) or I ask about being close to a side entrance instead if it's a hotel. Motels I usually don't care too much about since you drive up to your door. But a few I know of I have some preference to the rooms.

Fought that battle for years and hated it. I usually travel with 4 dogs and told them 2. after all goldens all look alike right. Now I use a travel trailer and have total piece of mind. No hassle to speak of with almost all campgrounds.

Travel Trailer. Just got back from a trip to SD. Nice small town CG, full hookup, $20/per. Your own Coffee, food, bed. It's about as good as it gets.

i recently had a bait and switch on the room rate pulled on me. it was the only motel in Parkston SD. owned by a couple who run the place with a bit of housekeeping help and live there w their children. when i complained the woman said she would talk to her manager. there is no manager. she and her husband own and run it and live there too. won't go back.

Last edited:
Back