Votes: 14 9.4%
  • Pointer

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • GWP

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • Other (specify in post)

Votes: 10 6.7%

• Total voters
I have two hunting dogs...a small female GSP and a young male Vizsla who is on the large side of the breed and built like a race horse. He is my 3rd Vizsla and likely the best hunting dog of the 3 I've had. I found the price of good dogs keeps going up and some breeds are a lot more expensive than others and you're not necessarily getting a better hunting dog....just a different one.

Griffin, great for an old man and smaller fields. Nose is outstanding, picks up birds my GWP speeds by.

I run Britts for all upland birds. I have seen numerous breeds in the field for Pheasants. My humble opinion is GSP's for Roosters.

There's a difference between most popular and best ! When it comes to pheasants the Springer has no equal, but I love all the breeds.
I totally agree as far as instincts are concerned, but we can get most breeds to that point through training.

Possibly. Some breeds. But then somebody trains a springer a little, & he's right back in the superior position. :sneaky:

20201025_182208.jpg

Possibly. Some breeds. But then somebody trains a springer a little, & he's right back in the superior position. :sneaky:
I've got no quarrel with that at all.
Reece Dec 20.jpg

But as some say, "On the other hand"... there is something special about a Brit locked up on a gorgeous point 60 yards away. Then to walk up, at a quick pace, flush a rooster 8 yards in front of a steady dog's nose, that's special too. Even better with another good dog backing.
Reece has a focus that he was just born with.

I've got no quarrel with that at all.

But as some say, "On the other hand"... there is something special about a Brit locked up on a gorgeous point 60 yards away. Then to walk up, at a quick pace, flush a rooster 8 yards in front of a steady dog's nose, that's special too. Even better with another good dog backing.
Reece has a focus that he was just born with.
Dogs, but good pheasant dogs in particular, make our lives so much richer. One amazing creature seeking another. With a bumbling buffoon tagging along, hoping to not screw up all that perfection.

I just want a dog that is a master on crippled birds. I can flush more than enough birds to shoot, but finding those cripples takes something special. I don't how you can beat a labrador for recovering crippled birds.

I had a gsp years ago who fit what some said about personality the first half of her life. All busuness, didnt care if you even pet her, just wanted to hunt. Then she came around and became a lot more affectionate. I currently have an older lab/springer. She’s a sweetheart who is softhearted. Fair at hunting, you really see the springer come out when shes on scent and does a really good job of trailing a wounded bird. Just as happy to lay around with her people though as she is hunting. Now I also have an 8 month old gsp female who is showing signs (in my opinion) of being a stud. Retrieving obsessed, had her on a few quail including a few trails and she seems bird crazy, and almost most importantly, the tail never stops wagging and shes really affectionate. I hope she doesnt outgrow that last part.
The vizla is the only dog i never hunted with out of the somewhat common pointing breeds. How do they hunt compared to a gsp??

Labs at 28%?? Really.... wait a minute... is the voting apparatus through Dominion??? I'm kidding I like them all. If we were honest, it's probably more about the dogs than anything else. How many times have you heard about someone who quit because they lost their old dog. There is something very, very special about them. All of them!!

Dogs, but good pheasant dogs in particular, make our lives so much richer. One amazing creature seeking another. With a bumbling buffoon tagging along, hoping to not screw up all that perfection.
A5 I would modify your statement and say "good bird dogs"

I just want a dog that is a master on crippled birds. I can flush more than enough birds to shoot, but finding those cripples takes something special. I don't how you can beat a labrador for recovering crippled birds.
I am sure that is true most of the time. Years ago I had Brittany that was spectacular on finding cripples. He was nothing short of amazing. I miss you Red Man.

I've has yellow labs in the past, brother in law always black labs and now I have a GWP. Loved them all. They were certainly different but the end result was always the same, I got birds.

I am sure that is true most of the time. Years ago I had Brittany that was spectacular on finding cripples. He was nothing short of amazing. I miss you Red Man.
I tell you, I really would like to buy to started field cockers, but just haven't found any. I started looking last spring.

Labs at 28%?? Really.... wait a minute... is the voting apparatus through Dominion??? I'm kidding I like them all. If we were honest, it's probably more about the dogs than anything else. How many times have you heard about someone who quit because they lost their old dog. There is something very, very special about them. All of them!!
Four years ago we brought home our first springer. She was going to be my fishing partner. Other than the annual opening day hunt with family, I hadn't bird hunted in probably 15 years. I had no intention of hunting her, but it turned out she was a natural hunter. Now I have 3 springers and hunt, or work the dogs, every chance I get. I would not bird hunt if it weren't for these dogs. They all like to fish, too. Cash will even retrieve walleye from the livewell.
Cash, livewell.jpg

I would not bird hunt if it weren't for these dogs.
I would. Not everyone has the means to own or take care of a dog. That doesn't mean they shouldn't hunt.

I hunted for many years before I had my own dog. I lived in an apartment out of college and could not have a full size dog there (nor would I). I also did a lot of traveling for work then, and I wasn't married, so having one (or a house to maintain with a yard) wasn't really practical either.

When I hunted without a dog, I targeted thinner cover and did the stop n go technique. Cattails were out of the question because if you dropped one in there, you would never find it. Snow really helped because I could literally "track" them. I hunted a lot of fence and tree lines that had open field next to them so when I folded one, it would drop out there in plain sight. I'll bet that I still bagged more pheasants than many hunters who had a dog because for every good well-trained hunting dog, there is another one that sucks, doesn't listen, and chews up birds into a pulp. I've seen it.

That being said, now that I have my own trained dog, I would never leave her at home because not only does she find more birds, we lose less too. But just because someone is dogless that shouldn't dictate their privilege or willingness to go hunting provided they are legally able to do so.

Would be difficult to hunt without a dog, especially having good ones for over 45 years. But I do understand some can't.

Any of the breeds listed will be great pheasant dogs if they are well breed, trained and get wild bird exposure. I like Drathts
my #1 hunting partner likes springers Both our dogs have seen lots of wild birds I'm happy with mine and I have seen his in action and they are great. I have hunted over and with GSPs and the owner knew how to train them and handle them they were also great. My first GWP was excellent maybe a dog of a life time.

Back