Votes: 14 9.4%
  • Pointer

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • GWP

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • Other (specify in post)

Votes: 10 6.7%

• Total voters
Late 90’s growing up in central IA shot a lot of birds with no dog. Knowing where the birds are is part of the human element. There was lots of birds so success was fairly easy. Living in eastern NE you need all the help you can get to find those few birds. Having a dog is like eating cake with frosting

I would not bird hunt if it weren't for these dogs.

Not sure if I would or not. I spent the first 21 seasons of my career hunting sans dog. In those years, I hunted more than most people, learned a ton about how to hunt pheasants, and was fairly successful. So I don't see it as a question of whether it can be done. It can, just not near as easily. And I'll admit that those last few years, my enthusiasm for pheasant hunting probably started to wane a bit. But my last dogless year, 2001, was my first of 6 seasons spent in central Iowa. I found some pretty nice public spots, hunted pretty hard, & shot a whopping 5 roosters. I was like, "I know this isn't SD, but there've GOT to be pheasants around here." So I went on a mission, got out of a renting situation (no dogs allowed), bought a house, & got my first springer early that next summer. He turned 5 months old on opening day. That season, on the same public ground as the previous year, with a puppy, I shot 35 roosters!!! Suffice to say, my enthusiasm for pheasant hunting had skyrocketed, even above where it'd been as a kid. It has continued to grow each of my 21 seasons of dog ownership. My dog completes me & takes my all-time favorite activity to a whole 'nuther level.

But if I for some reason became dogless again, permanently, would I pheasant hunt alone again? I think so, probably, but not as much. Certainly not as successfully. I can say this. When my last springer died, unexpectedly, late in the 2018 season, I went out once alone afterward, made it about 20 steps, turned around, & went home. I then went out 3-4 times with friends & THEIR dogs. Those hunts definitely helped ease the pain, & I was really thankful for them. But it wasn't at all the same. Got Ace that next spring.

Sometimes no dog is better than a shitty dog. I've been on hunts where the dog more or less completely ruined the hunt. Those were the times that made me want to hunt without a dog completely. As I previously stated, for every good hunting dog out there that listens and obeys and tracks down cripples, there is another one that doesn't listen, ranges way too far, flushes birds in the next section, and crushes birds when they get their jaws on them.

Needless to say those dogs (and their owners) did not get invited to hunt with me again. Its a difficult thing to tell someone you know that their dog isn't welcome on another hunt. Its like telling them that their kid is a failure.

I think its safe to say that most of on this forum are more dedicated to upland hunting than the average casual hunter, and as a by-product we generally have better trained dogs than the average bear.

I tell you, I really would like to buy to started field cockers, but just haven't found any. I started looking last spring.
One of the things I'd love to do before I die is to hunt woodcock and grouse over a field cocker.
Four years ago we brought home our first springer. She was going to be my fishing partner. Other than the annual opening day hunt with family, I hadn't bird hunted in probably 15 years. I had no intention of hunting her, but it turned out she was a natural hunter. Now I have 3 springers and hunt, or work the dogs, every chance I get. I would not bird hunt if it weren't for these dogs. They all like to fish, too. Cash will even retrieve walleye from the livewell.
View attachment 5602
Thats cool!

One of the things I'd love to do before I die is to hunt woodcock and grouse over a field cocker.

Thats cool!
I call that hunting with a pup......lol

I just want a dog that is a master on crippled birds. I can flush more than enough birds to shoot, but finding those cripples takes something special. I don't how you can beat a labrador for recovering crippled birds.
I’m just like you. I got tired of having to leave birds that we could not find. Never again with my pup.

Attachments

• 53D7CC4D-87FD-412B-B813-74AE79F10DB8.jpeg
    53D7CC4D-87FD-412B-B813-74AE79F10DB8.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 4
Back