Most birds seen in one day?

This might not be worth starting a new thread over, but i'm just curious. What's the approximate number of the most pheasants you've ever seen in one day in Colorado? Most in another state?

Sorry- i forgot to say how many i've seen in a day the first time. I've seen almost 500 one day and almost 400 another day in Colorado. And probably over 300 in western Kansas, i got 17 shots that day (including multiple shots at one bird) and killed my first Kansas limit.

Last edited:
Hmmm...probably close to 1000, at a farm in the miller area - 15 years ago. Just before opening, we watched a flock travel from a corn field into a crp. The steady stream of birds lasted about 20 minutes.

Hmmm...probably close to 1000, at a farm in the miller area - 15 years ago. Just before opening, we watched a flock travel from a corn field into a crp. The steady stream of birds lasted about 20 minutes.

Wow. That's crazy. I saw that once, but it only lasted about 10 seconds.

back in the early 90s in victor iowa saw hundreds in one field and few years back on some private in Mitchell county ks hundreds got up

South of Murdo SD in the late 80's after a period of cold snowy weather we flushed a single rooster from a cattail swamp along a county road. It was near a house so we could not shoot at it--when it landed on the other side of the road several hundred took off and flew back across the road and spooked several hundred more that flew back across the road and back and forth several more times--don't know if we saw some of them more than once but by the time it was over we had to have had over a thousand birds go back and forth across the road--quite the show :thumbsup:

Funny you mention murdo, last year I saw a bunch that I would guess to be 1000+. I tend to be conservative. They were in a scrub draw that we were not sure we even wanted to hunt. Theyy took off in waves of 100 or so for a good 7 or 8 minutes. Three years ago, west of Pierre, the farmer estimated 1200 or 1500 took off out of an abandoned feedlot behind his house. We took a 6 man limit in a half hr or so. I have seen 100 or so in Kansas in one bunch but never anything like that.

Since the question is about Colorado....

The day that my son shot his first bird, I had already limited out by 9:30, and my son had just shot his first ever bird. At that point we had seen ~50 or so birds.

I left the group behind to get my son's bird in the freezer so we could take it to the taxidermist while our group covered a small patch of CRP, about 2 acres in size. We had hunted that patch that morning already and I had gotten 2 of my 3 birds there.

Well, when I came back from getting my son's bird taken care of, everyone was talking about the HUGE bunch flush from that patch of CRP. They were talking 60-80 birds, so if I were to round down and say 50, then we're looking at 100 or so by 10 AM.

There were multiple days on opening weekends over the previous 4 or 5 years where we saw 15+ birds get up at the end of a field.

Sometimes, you just get lucky and stumble into them. :D

seen 150-200 in western MN about 7-8 years ago maybe more??? for a solid 10-15 min streams of pheasants in flocks of 5-30+ flew from a cornfield to a cattail slough it was a insane sight for MN pheasants!!! we were on public land the birds were maybe 100-200 yards away... the crazy thing is that slough is now public land but the birds all but abandoned the area??? maybe its our supper low bird numbers that did it??? i did have a 30-40 bird flush in my face this yr in MN & seen a flock or damn near 50-60+ on 1 WMA so maybe things are turning around here in MN hope we get a mild winter dont look good for that though...

seen 4-5 flocks of over a hundred each 1 spring along I-90 in SD all with in 1-2 miles of each other near 1 of the towns the other guys mentioned B4... all on private lands no public land for miles in any direction that was that was the only heart breaker i new id never get to hunt them birds ...

wish i had a bird count to give you for CO but never hunted it... yet...

Back