More statistics from DFW

Thanks for sharing Cal. I haven't taken time to go over it in depth yet but my initial thoughts are; There were more ruffed grouse than sooty grouse harvested? And, 511 people hunted ptarmigan?

These two questions I have give me reason to question what I'm doing with my life.:D

Last edited:
As I've said before about statistics... I think the 2014-15 study seems to be full of wrong info and interpolation. Hundreds of Ruffed Grouse shot in Placer County? Misidentification I'd guess made worse by interpolation of the sample. Some of the information like hunter numbers is quite a stretch. Hundreds of hunters in some counties based on a sample size of 1 hunter. Over a hundred White Tailed Ptarmigan taken in counties that I doubt have any.
Like I said something to do if you have time on your hands. I'd guess that the older stuff was more accurate due to more accurate info from more accomplished hunters in the past and direct contact made before computers.

Not surprising. I'll read it later. All of us long time hunters know what is like 30 to 40 years ago. Pheasants were like mosquitos in some parts of the Central Valley. The good old days.

After looking a little closer all I can do is shake my head. DF&W knows that ptarmigan are only established in four counties (Fresno, Madera, Mono, Tolumne) and yet almost all of the estimated harvest tool place in San Diego? Its a quite interesting bit of information, that's for sure.:D

Last edited:
Back