More side by side questions

bones

Thinking seriously about a side by side; if the government shutdown ever ends VA owes me some substantial back pay on my disability. I'll have between 2,500 to 3,000 to spend. probably wouldn't have the cash for at least 60 to 90 days so I have some time to digest opinions and shop around. I know in the world of side by sides that isn't a whole heck of a lot but that's what the better half will let me get away with. I just don't know a much about side by sides and you folks on here seem extremely well versed in their form, fit, function and availability.

What kind of gun could I expect to get on my resources?
I rarely shoot steel and am growing fond of I/C and modified for choking as opposed to the full and modified configuration I had been using. Either is acceptable just want to stay away from two cylinder bores. I'd like a gun coming in at under 8lbs and would prefer 12b or 16b as opposed to a smaller gauge. I also prefer the splinter style fore end instead of the beavertail. I don't reload and would prefer a gun that could shoot factory loads. I would like a gun that is ready for the field and not a fixer upper.

I've been looking at the Cabela's gun library but really have no idea what I am looking at. Also looked at the Orvis gun library (almost fell over on some of their guns). I look forward to hearing your many and diverse opinions.

Thanks,
bones

Are you looking for a new gun? If not I would get an old classic 12 ga. like a Fox, Ithaca or LC Smith do some clean up and refurbishing and enjoy hunting with a piece of history. I have found several that even with some touch up would still leave you with some cash in your pocket.

The only new guns I am aware of in that price range are the Dickinsons at Cabelas and the Ugartechea's at Lion Country Supply.

I had looked at the Dickinsons but like you I would prefer a piece of history. I grew up hearing about Fox, Parker and LC Smith from my Grandfather. I just don't know about restoration and would hate to mess up something I dropped so much coin on. Also am unsure of how old a gun could be before it would be unsafe to shoot with modern ammo. The lead we shoot these days is much harder than those of yesteryear.

There should be some good, field grade doubles out there. Earlier this year I picked up a like new Ithica-SKB in 12ga choked Mod-IC. I got a super deal on it and it handles real well. I had to ask questions on here about it and I got some real good information. I don't know anything about the imported doubles but folks seem to like them.

Try to find a Parker remake... May have a hard time finding one and the prices are all over the place...

There should be some good, field grade doubles out there. Earlier this year I picked up a like new Ithica-SKB in 12ga choked Mod-IC. I got a super deal on it and it handles real well. I had to ask questions on here about it and I got some real good information. I don't know anything about the imported doubles but folks seem to like them.

If I could not pay taxes for two weeks this is what I'd be looking for.

You should be able to find some very nice SxS's for less that you have to spend. Do you want a single or double trigger? That could limit your choices too. Like Florida Man said, there are some really nice Ithaca/SKB SXS's out there. They might be newer than you are thinking about but some solid guns.

Haven't followed the market in a year or so, but check out AYA sxs, especially the Matador II. The Spanish-made guns were a heck of a bargain when made, should be at least as good used-not-abused.

I've had mine in 20ga since...1970...I think. I stumbled on to it and it is the best gun decision I've ever made.

Have fun, be safe.

Not picky about trigger or lock style. Just want a good pointer. Thats why I am picky on the splinter forearm.

Whatever you do, don't buy anything you haven't personally handled. Feel, balance, etc. are what makes a SXS worthwhile. Despite the great reviews I've handled ones that were highly rated that just didn't feel right to me. My current favorite is a 16 ga Fox Sterlingworth. Many complain the drop at the heel is way too much, except I have no problem with it. If it fits, a Sterlingworth is a great start. But what ever you do, handle before buying.

A fox sterlingworth is an american classic and well within your budget. However, stock fit can be an issue. Many have way too much drop for today's shooters. Furthermore, watch for chamber length. I believe some of the early guns had short chambers.

I don't know what a restock would cost, but it's possible you could buy a sterlingworth, restock it, and still be within your budget. I'm considering such a project for myself someday.

Ithacas are great guns and also well within your budget. That's what I shoot. The 200E has a coin finish receiver, nicer engraving, ejectors, and a beavertail forearm. The 100 has a blued receiver, extractors (I think), and a splinter forearm. The 280E (pretty rare) is like the 200E, except it has an english stock. All are single selective trigger guns with automatic safeties. My 12g 200E with 26" barrels weighs about 7#.

Finally, don't forget about the Browning BSS and the Winchester 23. The Winchester might push your limit, but they are nice looking guns. The BSS is built like a tank and has a beavertail forearm so it may not be what you're looking for.

I'd suggest Italian guns. $2-3Gs you could get a
Beretta Silver Hawk, 424, 470 etc....

Bernardelli - like a guy in my town has on gunbroker - http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=370954132

Rizzini Uplander

Renato Gamba

I'm a sucker for the Italian guns because I think they combine the high grade finish and best wood for the money. I own a Gamba and Beretta and they are my two favorite guns, one for quail (Gamba 28ga) and one for pheasants (Beretta 20ga). Well made guns, beautiful wood and trouble free (knock on wood).

I might just get that Bernadelli myself. The wood is unreal.

I have 3 Stevenson 5100 series sxs, 20, 16, and 12 all have very nice wood with engrave of setter on point, are very solid frame guns, never paid more than 400.00 for any of them, and have run 100's of rounds thru all of them. Great field guns and all made in the 50's kind of neat to carry history around without having to worry about a small nik or scratch on a long day. I would suggest looking at this model if you want nice wood, and durability for low price. I wish they would have made a 410 and 28 in this class.:thumbsup:

I'd love to have an old Stevens, I carry a Stevens O/U now, and I started my with a Stevens once I got married. Old single single 16 gauge. I miss that old gun, a lot of bunnies and Texas quail fell to it. A Stevens would be the only one I would take with a beavertail fore arm.

As of now really looking at the LC Smith Field Grades and Parker Trojans. I also really like the looks of the old Remingtons but am really scared of Damascus barrels. Just had it pounded into my head when I was younger that they could be really dangerous to the shooter.

Just looking for a gun I may be able to carry a few times this year and get redone over the summer. Anyone know someone that can work on them on Colorado's Front Range region.

There are some beautiful Beretta SxS's on GunBroker.com right now. They may not be the piece of history that you are looking for but they are some great looking guns and would last you a lifetime.

It just occurred to me that when I replied I was speaking of an Ithca-SKB as an American gun. It's Japanese made. I also have a Beretta (Italy), a Marlin- L.C.Smith (Italy) and a Ruger, Red Label (Made in the U.S.A.). All are proven performers (except the SKB, this will be my first season with it.), all were inexpensive, especially for the quality. They are out there, keep looking.

I have 3 Stevenson 5100 series sxs, 20, 16, and 12 all have very nice wood with engrave of setter on point, are very solid frame guns, never paid more than 400.00 for any of them, and have run 100's of rounds thru all of them. Great field guns and all made in the 50's kind of neat to carry history around without having to worry about a small nik or scratch on a long day. I would suggest looking at this model if you want nice wood, and durability for low price. I wish they would have made a 410 and 28 in this class.:thumbsup:

I will second the Stevens 5100. I have a 16ga. marked Mod and Full, but actually measures Mod and Imp. Mod. Just about perfect for late season S.D. pheasants.

I like the Spanish SXS guns , but FAIR ( one of the Rizzini family) brought back their SXS and I handled one this fall , great gun for the money!

If I were to buy another off the rack SXS it would be a CZ Mini Bobwhite, I've shot them fr a number of years and love the 28 gauge, but have also shot them in 16 and 12.
Great guns at a reasonable price.
DT

Back