More rain! Widespread!

If those berries were just slightly bigger than BBs, maybe elderberries. but those are ripe and falling off right now in my area.

Just my observation from hunting mostly after thanksgiving. I don't ever recall finding grasshoppers in any crops. Only two times that I recall I have found crops that had something other than corn or soybean. One time it was hemp seed and the other time it looked like blueberries. Picture is attached of the blueberry looking fruit. I just couldn't imagine a blueberry at the end of November. Any locals know what this could be??

Last edited:
After looking and thinking about it a while, I wonder if it isn't Nightshade. Toxic to people, but animals eat them frequently. Could you estimate the diameter?

they were not poke berry. Poke berry has flat black shinny seeds. They may have been buckthorn berries. Never seen them but information says the fruit develops late August September so maybe the fruit stayed good until November.

After looking and thinking about it a while, I wonder if it isn't Nightshade. Toxic to people, but animals eat them frequently. Could you estimate the diameter?

Diameter estimate is about 1/4 inch. smaller than a store blueberry but about the size of a huckleberry.

Yep! that would be a crop full of hoppers. something I never saw. Also never saw a skinned hen pheasant. Where was the bird harvested and what time of year? Time of year for interest in hoppers and Place of harvest as I am interested in where you can shoot a hen pheasant? Also, is that a grain seed mixed in or what?

I just compared the seeds from the nightshade berry, which is in the same family with tomatoes, to a close up of the seeds in the picture i posted. The seeds in my photo do indeed look tomato seed like. So I think we may have a winner on the Nightshade berry. Thanks for all the input.

For what it is worth, I had a friend drive back to SC from Montana last week and drove through SD and stayed with one of our good farming friends in Armour. His report was that he did see pheasants out in some fields. They were traveling interstate so it wasn't like a road survey or anything. But I guess with the crops well established and grasses rather high, seeing any pheasants traveling 80mph is probably a good thing. On the negative side, locally they had a very recent hailstorm that was rather severe. That is why you have a hunt starting point and move if you have to in order to locate birds. Sometimes local areas are down for one or multiple reasons. Best to all.

One time i was told I let a sharptail go but it looked like a hen pheasant to me. I've not seen enough or any on the flush to know the difference. It would be great to see enough to get educated but I don't think there are many around where we hunt.

If it was in Ohio, I would say greenbrier berries, but I have never seen any in the Dakotas. Our ruffed grouse eat them frequently. They can still be on vines in March

Last year we got one on Halloween morning in far eastern SD. My buddy filleted him that afternoon, the crop was full of grasshoppers, and a couple of them were still wiggling!!!

Back