More Kansas Birds

M. R. Byrd

I am seeing more of these around Dodge.

stick090415018.jpg

stick090415024.jpg

So did the roosters bring them in for their running coaches? I know that those little burgers can run fast. That's all we need smarter and faster pheasants...

Last edited:
aaahhhh that brings back memories not the bird mind you, I had a 69 roadrunner 4spd with a 383 bored 30 over and a lot of other goodies :)

Road runners eat anything that doesn't eat them first! Eggs, nestlings, snakes, lizards, etc. We once had a female with her young birds running around trying to catch hummingbirds! We have a number of hummer feeders and the roadrunners were all over the bushes and trees trying to get a hummingbird.

It was pretty hilarious, the hummers were in no real danger.

I'm from central OK & mainly hunt the NW part of the state. Roadrunner population have jump a lot here the last few years. Quail, pheasant & turkey has also. I thought I would add to your post that I have read 2 books on roadrunners, wrote by guys from TX & OK that researched the critters for 17 & 25 years. These guys spent all their spare time with these fast leggers. In their research they never had one occurance of roadrunners busting quail or pheasant nest. I have always heard the tale from old timers that they are quail killers. That promted me to read the books. I've seen them get after sparrows big time. Are they trying to run them off or kill them , I don't know. They do eat small reptiles, sizable spiders & insects and small mice. I think they could bust eggs or caught young little (bumble bee) small sized quail. Any body that has proof, I sure would like to know. I have filmed some good pastime while deerhunting of coyotes after roadrunners. Kind of like the cartoon.

Back