Montana Sept. 8-10

Dakotazeb

I'm seriously considering attending a 3 day NSTRA field trial over Labor Day weekend in Great Falls. Then after the trial I'd like to spend 2-3 days hunting some grouse and huns. I'd like to meet up with someone that could show me the ropes in MT and be a hunting partner for a couple of days. Any place between Great Falls and Glendive would be good. At this point it would be just myself and my Brittany, Elle. Anyone interested in getting together? I'm always up for meeting fellow UPH members.

I don't if he'd be able to but I would highly recommend hunting with PTM if possible, a really great guy.:thumbsup:

He's in Malta i believe.

Used to visit Great Falls every summer, still have an aunt that lives there. Love that place! Have not been back since we laid my Granma to rest there.:(

If you are into fly fishing for trout the Missouri River is outstanding. Fished there once for 10 days around Craig. Smallest fish caught was about 15 inches. 17-21 was typical and phatt! My buddy had a browny on the line for 20 minutes that went 24-26+ inches but finally broke off. I had a rainbow on that was every bit as big or bigger and snapped the line when he went down in weeds. Jumped completely out of the water in front of me which gave me a perfect look.
Hope you get out there and have lots of fun!
Cheers,
Wolf

Wolf, I'm not a fly fisherman. I have fished trout in the western states with a spinning rod/reel and spinners. So maybe I better throw in my ultra light rod/reel and a few spinners just in case. Thanks for reminding me. :)

Thanks to all that responded. I am going to Great Falls for the NSTRA trial but have decided to pass on the hunting. Instead I'm going to head home via Wyoming and visit my sister and brother-in-law who are both having some health issues. Family comes first!

George,

It's sounds like I'm headed out to Montana to hunt Huns now. We are leaving my house on the 14th and are going to hunt the 15-18 and then head home Saturday.
Bad timing now..... I wish we would have put this together sooner!

George,

It's sounds like I'm headed out to Montana to hunt Huns now. We are leaving my house on the 14th and are going to hunt the 15-18 and then head home Saturday.
Bad timing now..... I wish we would have put this together sooner!

Ya, too bad the timing wasn't a little better. Oh well, maybe next time. Let me know how you do.

I wish we could have hooked up George! The trip was fantastic and we moved hundreds of birds and the Covey ranged from 10-30 birds each. We hunted the 1900 acre place we stayed at as well as another ranch that had tons of birds.
We had some rain and didn't hunt in that, but for the most part the trip was great. The guy said these were the best bird numbers he had seen since he moved there 12 years ago. The views were awesome and the cover was very good for the most part. We walked 5 miles on the last day and shot 13 birds but put up well over 200. Up and down those hills can be a killer at 5500' above sea level but was worth every step!

:10sign:

I wish we could have hooked up George! The trip was fantastic and we moved hundreds of birds and the Covey ranged from 10-30 birds each. We hunted the 1900 acre place we stayed at as well as another ranch that had tons of birds.
We had some rain and didn't hunt in that, but for the most part the trip was great. The guy said these were the best bird numbers he had seen since he moved there 12 years ago. The views were awesome and the cover was very good for the most part. We walked 5 miles on the last day and shot 13 birds but put up well over 200. Up and down those hills can be a killer at 5500' above sea level but was worth every step!

:10sign:

Gordie, glad you had a good time and a great hunt. I'm jealous! Are you planning to do that hunt again next year? If so, I'd love to make the trip with you.

Coming to SD for some pheasants? Let me know and we'll try to hook up.

I'm not sure if we will be going back next year until we hear how the numbers are. That 1000 mile drive is a long day! If the numbers are there again, I'm sure we will be going back. My hunting partner has a pointer and that's the kind of hunting he prefers. We stayed at this friends uncles place and could hunt right out his door. Plus he had rancher friends that had great land that we were able to hunt.

I think the 1st time I will be hunting SD is the 1st week in Nov again. I'm not sure where yet....... need to sit down and get a plan and reservation set up.

Back