Montana Hunting

mnmthunting

Banned
Anybody out there?

Does anyone hunt MT pheasants?

I am from Calgary and I drove down to MT last Dec for a few days hunting. Am going again for a day or 2 on my way to South Dakota. Saw lots of birds but it was tough being a newbie in a foreign land. Of course the birds were wilder than heck that time of year.

Warner

Scoob, Yes it's really tough not knowing a area, then late in the year for just a day or two. Where are you planning to hunt?

I've heard good reports from the Conrad area.

I saw what I would consider a lot of birds there last December. Don't know about this year though. I go there because it's fairly close to Calgary and I have a contact there.

Take some photos, Would enjoy hearing about your hunt.

No problem. Hopefully I will have lots to tell you. In the meantime here is a pic from Saturday in Southern Alberta.

You photo looks like where I was hunting in MT.:cool:

lewistown

I will be hunting lewistown oct 18-21 i will keep you informed please let me know how ur trip went as well??

I will be hunting near Froid this weekend. This will be the 9th year I've hunted this area. Long drive from Minnesota but the land available makes it worth it. Sounds like it will be cold.......

Will be hunting Med Lake/ Froid area, birds were hit with bad weather this spring, numbers are down but even a bad year is good.

I was in the Froid area in mid Sept, scouting and Sharptail hunting. They sure lost a lot of CRP in that area. Still was standing wheat pheasants weren't very visible. I talked to a few locals in Froid and Culbertson and Plentywood. All remarked about the horrible Winter and loss of Pheasants. But they agreed that the Spring weather was good for broods.
I think you will do alright, birds seem to be in pockets. If there are as many hunters up there as usual expect some crowding in the BM's where the CRP is baled.
I wont be able to make the MT opener this year. First time not being up there North of Culbertson in many years.
Will hunt Oct 13 and 14 by the Yellowstone East of Miles City.

birddog let me know how the hunting was.

Yes that is true and was very dry out there. Also a lot of the CRP contracts have run out. Some big parcels or former CRP are now wheat fields.

Well we had a great opening weekend, but lots of really young birds, majority of birds that we saw were from a very late hatch with lots the size of a big partridge, must have been a late rehatch after the bad spring weather. Weather was brutal on sat with strong windchill and light snow, I hope the birds get a few weeks of nice weather to give them a chance to grow a little bigger. I'm amazed at the amount of land that is out of CRP now and there was lots of crops still standing.

Just got home from the Froid area. Saturdays weather was a bit nasty but the hunting was darn good, passed on a lot of immature birds but still filled out. Sunday was much more nicer and still plenty of birds. Monday was as good as you could ask for, we filled out early and spent the balance of the day after grouse........The newbies had a tough time at first, they passed on a bunch of grouse thinking they were hen phesants. I hope SD is as fun next weekend!

The best part of the hunt was my dogs worked their butts off, did all I could hope for, and are curled up at my feet right now. As good as the shooting was the dogs made the hunt great. I'm not sure if I would hunt if it wasn't for the dogs!

hooray for birddogs

Dogs always make the hunt interesting. Heading out for region 6 myself this friday. Have allowed 2 weeks for scouting, hunting and enjoying the famous montana hospitality. Will post my results.

Indeed we do hunt pheasants in MT! Here's a couple pics from this year's opener at my parents' farm.

My cousin-in-law (middle) with his limit
7729_148669440266_624920266_2817052_7177369_n.jpg

My future cousin-in-law (with his fantastic dog) and me (left) with a bird each.

7729_148670025266_624920266_2817058_7353975_n.jpg

Back