Montana Excitement

AKSkeeter

Hunting hungarian partridge in Montana with my 9-month old pup.
Pup caught 2 birds...very strange since each flew about 200 yards first.
First was a hun that flushed and flew low in front of her so I could not shoot safely.
I think it was a late hatch bird as the area I hunt does not get much hunting pressure.
Hun flew low a couple hundred yards and landed in windrow.
Pup eventually hunted it up and caught it buried in a brush pile.
LiveHun.png

The next day hunting MT huns along a spring creek we flushed a mallard out of range.
The mallard flew about 200 yards and landed back in the spring creek.
As we walked over, I whistled pup in from quartering and snuck in on the cut bank.
Mallard refused to flush...I think either it saw a hawk or thought the whistle was a hawk call.
So mallard dove in a small pool with riffle upstream and riffle downstream.
Pup also dove in and caught the mallard.
LiveMallard.png

You are in northern Montana. Nice lab.I have a new lab puppy. I didn't pay thousands like these guys on here.Paid 500.Awesome puppy that will hunt very soon.

You are in northern Montana. Nice lab.I have a new lab puppy. I didn't pay thousands like these guys on here.Paid 500.Awesome puppy that will hunt very soon.
Yes hunted the High Line area. My truck came back to Ronan with a couple hundred pounds of extra mud!
That gumbo reminds me of the Haul Road mud in Alaska. . .
Welcome to the lab puppy club!

Yes hunted the High Line area. My truck came back to Ronan with a couple hundred pounds of extra mud!
The rains have been around some, but lots of hot dry days as well. I will get my puppy out soon,and looking forward to it.Ive seen a lot of hunters the last 2 seasons, not sure why.Public land gets hit real hard.

Thanks.Its been 10 years. He actually flushed a bird out in the field by my house. He's 9 weeks old. He will be hunting by Nov.

Back