Money for the birds!!

I'm shocked you chimed in on this, remy :)

It is not the golden ticket. That would be a Farm Bill that pays well and demands enrollment of 100 million acres of land to be converted into CRP here in the upper Midwest. But the idea is one effort that is geared 100% in raising money to put toward pheasant habitat. As I said the very first time it was mentioned and I'll say it again, I think it is very sad that PF wouldn't promote an idea that honestly has nothing to do with Pro Pheasants or South Dakota or Codington County, but is instead one that is exclusively toward pheasant habitat. But PF wouldn't share an idea because it wasn't them. Funny, when we did a fundraising item for cystic fibrosis, the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation was happy to share the notion. They didn't refuse because the money wasn't theirs, nor was the packaging on the label not representative of them. It would be pretty petty if they did, don't you think?
Haha😆😆 good entertainment, that's twice you pretty well told him he can suck it. Then in the new PF Journal I seen they got a article about PF kind of in ur area. Sounds like a sort of new chapter, wonder if there guys who got fed up with Pro Pheasants?

Yanno, prior to 1882 the Williamette Valley in Oregon had an abundance of high quality pheasant habitat. However, there were no pheasants there at all until Judge Owen Denny imported pheasant from China and <gasp!> released them.

Similarly, South Dakota had an abundance of high quality pheasant habitat. However, there were no pheasants there at all until in 1909, H. P. Packard, H. J. Schalke and H. A. Hagman, all of Redfield, bought pheasants and released them on Hagman’s farm north of Redfield. At that same time, A. C. Johnson released 25 pheasants on his ranch about ten miles east. Inspired by the success of these releases, the Redfield Chamber of Commerce joined in and sponsored the first large release of pheasants in the area.

and refusing to think outside the box is why PF will never grow to be significant in their club attitude

Yanno, prior to 1882 the Williamette Valley in Oregon had an abundance of high quality pheasant habitat. However, there were no pheasants there at all until Judge Owen Denny imported pheasant from China and <gasp!> released them.

Similarly, South Dakota had an abundance of high quality pheasant habitat. However, there were no pheasants there at all until in 1909, H. P. Packard, H. J. Schalke and H. A. Hagman, all of Redfield, bought pheasants and released them on Hagman’s farm north of Redfield. At that same time, A. C. Johnson released 25 pheasants on his ranch about ten miles east. Inspired by the success of these releases, the Redfield Chamber of Commerce joined in and sponsored the first large release of pheasants in the area.
Every successful release that ever resulted in an actual population of pheasants were wild caught, relocated birds. Yep, they started it all in Oregon with birds caught in the wild in Asia. True story.

and refusing to think outside the box is why PF will never grow to be significant in their club attitude
So now we have PF as "insignificant"...interesting. Read up on them for a couple minutes and report back on just how insignificant they really are and how they are not thinking "outside the box" their efforts. So discount everything they have done for the past 40 years, then yah, they haven't done much. No groups can do much without local support. The individual PF chapters decide how to use the money they raise. They can't do anything without local support. Pick a habitat group you think can help and support them if you really care about advancing pheasant numbers and hunting opportunities for them. ...or just try to drag down the organization that is doing something for you as a pheasant hunter.

Every successful release that ever resulted in an actual population of pheasants were wild caught, relocated birds. Yep, they started it all in Oregon with birds caught in the wild in Asia. True story.
Yes, both true and well known to those who have studied the bird.

You can have 1,000,000 acres of the best possible pheasant habitat but if there’s not a single pheasant around for a 100 miles in any direction, it’s going to take a looooong time before you have a shootable pheasant population.

Much (most?) of the SD initial releases were pen raised birds.

“The headline in the Sept. 3, 1913, Daily Capital-Journal in the State’s Capitol of Pierre read “The Pheasants are Coming.”

The article stated that State Game Warden H. S. Hedrick had been notified that 5,000 Chinese ring-necked pheasants were arriving from a game farm near Chicago.

After being displayed at the state fair in Huron, the pheasants in “families” of one rooster to several hens were to be distributed throughout the state, “the places of location being determined by the showing for natural protection and care which will assure the birds survival for the first few years.”

I understand I am NOT saying that mass dumping of Pen Raised (PR) birds is the way forward.

I’m pointing out that PR birds can eventually generate huge populations of birds under the right conditions. SD as the primary example.

So I don’t entirely just blow off suggestions of using PRs.

Pick a habitat group you think can help and support them if you really care about advancing pheasant numbers and hunting opportunities for them

Simply buying a hunting license and/or pheasant stamp also sends a significant amount of money to convservation efforts, land acquistion, research of various wildlife, and game management. That percentage varies by state, but my point is that the simple intention of hunting in general, provided its done legally, commits a certain amount to the quarry we're targeting, and their habitat.

Simply buying a hunting license and/or pheasant stamp also sends a significant amount of money to convservation efforts, land acquistion, research of various wildlife, and game management. That percentage varies by state, but my point is that the simple intention of hunting in general, provided its done legally, commits a certain amount to the quarry we're targeting, and their habitat.
In my book that is not supporting, get money into the groups that get work done. If it is something you are passionate about put some money where your mouth is. The few dollars from a license and habitat stamp are required to hunt, to me that just isn't enough to keep this a viable activity far into the future. I guess maybe states with more public ground than Iowa feel that they have all they need and things will always be great....maybe so, but here in Iowa, things are working against habitat and wildlife in general.

Back