Mojave desert- pics added

quail hound

Leaving out early (5am) tomorrow morning heading south for Mojave. We'll be there to chase gambels quail and chukar for a few days. I'll post some pics and reports as I go if I have cell coverage or on Monday if I don't.

Last edited:
Sweet, look forward to pics and stories. :cheers:

Well our first day of hunting is in the bag. We started off this morning hunting a nice wash but didn't see any quail. I heard the siren call of the chukar coming from the hills and started to climb. Climbed 3/4 up the hill and side hilled for a while but didn't flush any chukar. We found a good watering hole later and put up a covey of about 50 gambels not far down the road. This covey just happened to be living in one of the most cactus infested areas around but the dogs didn't seem to mind it much. Next we headed for the high country and hit the pinon/ juniper forest at about 6000 plus feet where we saw the first snow I've seen this year, yep snow in the desert. Moved one more covey of about 25 or so gambels where there should have been mountain quail. Ended the day with 6 birds in the bag. This is some beautiful country and I hope to make this an annual trip.

Pics coming tomorrow.

that6 dessert country sounds fun! Looking forward to the pics.

Pics are coming but I don't have a fast enough internet connection out here for them right now.

We saw 5 coveys today ranging from about 20-60 quail but only got 2 coveys in the air and put 6 more in the bag but no chukar. Oh well we have 2 tired and happy dogs and there's always next time.

Pics as promised

Joshua trees at 3500ft

IMAG0386.jpg

Some of the nasties.

IMAG0385.jpg

Mid elevation.

100MEDIA_IMAG0278.jpg

Last edited:
There's chukar up there somewhere.

100MEDIA_IMAG0276.jpg

100MEDIA_IMAG0279.jpg

High dessert pinon/ juniper forest.

100MEDIA_IMAG0274.jpg

great pics, Robert. And good for you.

Been a tough year down here in Arizona. Glade to see you had a good Hunt.:thumbsup::10sign::cheers:

Very nice QH.

Next time I'm visiting family in L.A. I'll have to give you a call for some quail hunting. I'm more than willing to rent a car if your willing to put up with me tagging along chasing quail.:D

Any luck with wild pheasants yet?

You are more than welcome to tag along anytime. Our pheasant season was decent, I think we ended up shooting about 15 wild birds over the dogs this year including my new pups first wild bird.

Jmac, thanks we had a blast and I hope to make this a yearly trip. They got nearly 10" of rain during last rain season where we hunted and the birds were definitely there.

Thanks Tombstone. We were between 15 and 40? Out around midhills and hole in the wall. Beautiful country out there, that was our first time in the desert and I can't wait to get back down there.

Back