Moisture?

I was out in the southwest part of the state yesterday. Kiowa, Pratt and parts of Kingman the wheat was looking pretty rough. The far southwest surprisingly looked better than you would think. 2 days of wind isn't going to help much. Looked like Troy had gotten to burn a little. And some cows grazing other working for him.

I was out in the southwest part of the state yesterday. Kiowa, Pratt and parts of Kingman the wheat was looking pretty rough. The far southwest surprisingly looked better than you would think. 2 days of wind isn't going to help much. Looked like Troy had gotten to burn a little. And some cows grazing other working for him.

Thanks for noticing! We burned 2 tracts of the Patch Burn/Patch Graze pastures Friday. Would have liked to have done more, but when the humidity got down to 19%, we were glad to get done with the second burn without having any spot-overs. We had nearly 1.8 inches of rain in March. That really helped. Last year was the first year that I combined the crop lease with the grazing lease. By doing so, I am now able to graze the grass around the crop fields as well as the crop fields, making those grass acres more productive. By planting cover crops in the crop fields, we have the deer and turkey browse available through the fall and winter and instead of combining or swathing it where we might lose birds, we harvest it with livestock. I have to stock 6 weeks earlier to make the books go positive for the rancher/farmer, but that's not a big ask.

Was water in the draws in Ness County this weekend. Not sure when they got it? I think we are supposed to get some on Friday.

Ness County had some around 3 weeks ago. I know 5 miles west and 10 south of Ness City they had 1.7 inches.

Last edited:
I got .47 Tuesday night after 300 acres of burns Monday and Tuesday. My earlier burns are coming on strong. Things are finally starting to green up, bud and leaf out, and wake up from overwinter. More rain can't hurt. Our wheat here is looking pretty good. Not that way everywhere. The wildfires out west bespeak just how bad it was out there.

Had 1.59 in this latest rain. That should kick things into gear! Burns are all already greening up. I just hope it was in time out west to help. Been brutal there!

Back