MO was a bust

rascal

just got home from my day trip to MO. 7 hours of driving....3 quail seen and 2 points on rabbits. did see 5 bald eagles though...hunted some really nice cover...all public....I think it gets pounded pretty good. was disappointed.

Too bad

That sounds like most of my hunts in Mo this year.

Went Sat on privare gound and saw 2 quail.

You must have in NW Mo to see that many bald eagles

I was just off 36 not far from Chillicothe

There have been virtually no quail in that area since clean farming and WRP, became the rule. Never were any amount of pheasants. Stocking was discontinued because of failure. Read Joel Vance, author, and an MDC employee, retired, he grew up there, in the 50's, 60's, and part of the seventies, there was a good amount of quail. Now better off going almost anywhere in the state, but some are ruefully, about the same.

yea....everytime I drive along RT36 it looks soo good all through that country....maybe private land would be better. there was plenty of good cover where I was but no birds. its sad. lots of rabbits

If you were hunting public, I know where you were at and you picked about the worst, best looking place to go. That area just gets hammered by the few bird hunters in Missouri. With this snow and cold, that 3-bird covey is gone...at least you got to see them.

yea...I felt so bad for them....almost wish I hadn't seen any at all.....lots of rabbit sign there though. maybe I'll have to take up rabbit hunting

poosey? saw 1 pheasant there in a ditch this yr. heard of other people who saw some quail there opening day, but not again.

yes went to Poosey first....then to Bunch Hollow second...was looking for areas that were less than 3 hours away from my home in IL. I won't be wasting the gas again unless I'm on my way to Kansas...lol. I saw not a single pheasant track or dropping and no sign of quail either...roost sites or tracks in snow. the place may be promising the first day of the season I suppose. I didn't expect to find pheasant but the DNR guy I spoke to on the phone kept going on and on about pheasants being there....I HAD to see for myself

Yep - very good cover, no birds. Hunted about 4 hrs there total this yr. MO has been a complete bust. I'm hunting mostly private and it all sucks. Excellent cover, beans on the ground to eat. No birds.

KS has been ok, about 1 covey per 90 mins avg.

its a shame. I got a buddy just over the river in Pike County MO....early in the season he was telling me he was seeing alot of quail in his travels going bow hunting and duck hunting...said its most he's seen in years....can't hunt any of it of course...but its nice to know they were somewhere in MO. Im hopfully heading back to Kansas next week if weather is good

Back