MN WIA program?

I don't think it's possible to have enough good options for public hunting. I for one would certainly welcome it. :10sign:

This is great news and a long time coming. I'm sure the die hards would be willing to pay a few extra dollars a season on a license to help fund the project.

Did a little checking and found this. You can listen in on the hearing by clicking on "Listen Now" . There are 2 bills discussed in the hearing. The last half of the hearing is about the proposed pilot for WIA. You can scroll the bar forward if you don't want to listen to the whole thing. http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/audio/archivescomm.asp?comm=86137&ls_year=86

In a nutshell from listening to the hearing it would appear that the DNR is willing to do this initially with the $2 million that is in the general Game and Fish fund. There is some money available through the 2008 farm bill that is dedicated for use on these walk in areas, but the details have not been worked out on how much each state would receive. If the pilot program is accepted and deems successful, a plan for future money to support a broader program may likely come from surcharges on hunting licenses.

From what I gathered from the conversation it would appear certain representatives want more of the details of the pilot program ironed out before accepting the program. There was some concern as to liability issues if damage is done to a participating landowners property, and how they may reclaim for damages. There was also some concern over neighboring farmers who are not enrolled in the program having to deal with hunters who may wander over on their property.

So it would seem this is on hold for the moment.

Last edited:
Back