MN-SD-ND road counts

Byrdoglvr

Looking at my plan trips to SD (1 1/2 west of Aberdeen) and ND (SW) I see the road counts are way down to 2.2 per mile and 1.26 per mile respectively. Is this not worse then MN counts in West Central MN where I hunt? If so I'd never have imagined that!

No it's not worse, not even close with respect to SW NoDak.

If you look at the Minnesota survey, in West central MN. the count was 30 birds/100 miles driven. In SW NoDak the count was 126 birds/100 mi driven, huge difference. Even SW MN which had the highest count in MN was 50 birds/100 miles driven and on par with SE NoDak with 47 birds/100 mi driven.

Once the crops are down and the birds are forced into grass cover, it shouldn't be hard locate areas with good habitat. It may take a little more walking to scratch out a limit in Minnesota this year, but just remember a bad day in the field beats a good day in the office any day........:cheers:

Gotcha--brain fart. I still don't believe SW MN is better then West Central. I hunted both a lot last year and saw and harvested way more in West Central.

It's not better. Stay away. Not even worth your time.

Kidding of course. It still isn't great here but I have been seeing a bunch of late hatch birds. There will be birds, but you will have to work for them.

I have seen lots of small birds around. Im kind of hoping most of the corn is still up for opener this year. Give the birds a place to hide form the zoo we call opener.

I heard all the good bird numbers were in duluth....:thumbsup:

Duluth Pheasants

That's not even funny. I'm from Duluth. I wish there were Pheasants up here. There was actually a small population of pheasants in Superior and in Duluth by the grain elevators but I think they all disappeared in the late '80s/early '90s.

Back